Chapter 62

"Are you ready Bill?" Mable said while helping the demon get ready for the performance that was just about to happen. She readjusted his bowtie, a proper excitement surrounding her very being.

"Ready as I will ever be." the creature chimed inside the boy's body. Not a single soul could tell the difference between his version of the boy and his actual self.

All except one thing, the beast looked nervously down as he felt a sensation rush over him. Fear showed through his expression as though he might get stage fright.

"Are you ok?" Mable asked as she stopped mid-sentence after catching a glimpse of her brother's paling face.

"Y-Yeah, I'm just going to use the bathroom really quick and be right out." He said as he rushed away from behind the scene.

The beast scurried away as fast as this vessel's legs would carry him. He felt, rather hindered in this shape, nothing appealed to him about being this weak and running out of time.

He closed himself off in the private performance bathroom and snapped the lock in place to keep from the view of others. He winced as he pulled up the coat sleeve.

Underneath formed dark black patches that wriggled and spread across the boy's skin. Eyes began to open and rip through the gooey blackness to stare back at the beast. He growled and covered it once again, he hoped that this would be over soon.

Dipper knew he had to hold up his side of the bargain in order to keep the Pine's child wrapped around his finger.The demon kept his calm, unlatched the door, and went back out to perform in the show.

Meanwhile, Bill makes his descent. Unsteady feet patter down the starlit staircase, which stops abruptly on another platform. Ahead of Bill is a maze of curtains. Long, looming, heavy stage fabrics stretched miles into the atmosphere.

As he stared up at them they felt never-ending. He couldn't even see where they were hanging from. He gulped, this place felt desolate and eerie compared to the platform he had fallen from.

"What a strange place...", Bill muttered to himself. A twinkling can be heard, he squinted as one of the keys lit up much like a candlelight. He felt pulled forwards.

He then timidly ventured into the sea of curtains before himself. As he stepped in, the fabrics pulled shut behind him he shuddered as it seemed this was a point of no return. He swallowed hard, he didn't like this anymore.

Tiny star-flickering lamps lit up the insides of the curtains as though they were hallways sprawled out in front of him. How could The Great Constellation live in a place like this? Bill couldn't imagine he could be happy living in the dark or alone.

He shook his head, it wasn't for the boy to judge such things. He had to admit, though he was wary he didn't feel that sense of panic he did prior in the bathroom.

The winding curtain hallways retained their shape despite being swept by a light breeze. Given that there were doors embedded deep within the cloth, Bill walked cautiously. Every door was ornate, and it was always decorated in the demon's style. Mirrors were also scattered throughout these shifting curtains.

Bill wondered if the mirrors indicated that the demon was vain in some way. The creature screamed vanity in a way that gave the impression that he was compensating for something. He did take into account his appearance quite a bit.

Bill supposed he never really thought about it that way before, which gave him an icky feeling. He did digress though, since the demon really didn't speak of himself much. Which in turn, he would expect from someone who was a narcissist.