Chapter 42

“Bill, hey Bill wake up. Come on.”, the demon could hear a voice calling his name. It felt very distant at first but began to become more apparent.

He felt groggy and sluggish, a set of hands on his shoulders. Someone was definitely trying to shake him awake.

All of a sudden he sits up, a pair of brown eyes face to face with him. “Wahh!”, he calls out and flops backward on the bed. Startled, he breathes harshly, backing himself against the bedframe, confused.

He gets smacked in the face by a pillow being tossed into it, it slumps off onto his chest as he looks around.

“Geez, sleepyhead, what’s got you so jumpy this morning??”, a young girl sets her hands on her hips standing at the edge of the bed. He blinks and furrows his brows.

“Mabel??”, he says frantically looking around collecting his environment; a children’s room.

“Uh yeah who else, come on get up. I wanna sit in the front with you.”, she jumps on the bed and yanks his arm pulling it out in front of him.

“Wait wait wait--!”, he squeaked, his voice sounding lighter to his own ears. She tugs him along. Small feet tapping against the tile floor, its cool to the touch.

She turns to him and puts a finger over her own mouth with a “shh”, noise.

They sneak down the set of stairs and into the large open living room. It seems like a high-end apartment.

Something catches the demon’s eye, his own reflection as they walk past a full-body mirror. He stops in his tracks, staring himself down.

His eyes widened at his appearance. Small, an adolescent, short blonde hair with dark freckle patches of skin on his bare arms and legs.

He gulps suddenly realizing what's going on. “What??”, Mabel questions as she feels the resistance.

“Oh uhm….it’s nothing. Shoo---Mabel.”, he clears his throat, correcting himself.

“Let’s go”, she says, taking bill to the front door and they head out. It's a balcony ledge, looking out over a busy street in a city. It smells like restaurant food and cherry blossom trees that are just beginning to flower.

She sits down on the platform and hangs her bare feet off the rails, she pats the seat next to her.

Bill complies, being quiet, he can recall the last moments with Dipper before the axolotl sent them here.

The flashes come in waves. His heart aches in his chest, he sniffles not realizing his vision had become clouded by the fogs of tears.

“Hey…”, Mabel scootches over to him and puts an arm around his shoulder. “This move is hitting you hard huh? You’re gonna miss it here in Cali?”. He just wipes his tears.

“All of this just feels wrong, I don’t know what to do…”, he says, halfway answering her question but mostly expressing remorse over his own thoughts.

“That’s…why I wanted to spend our last day here with you. Doing our favorite thing, I know mom and dad hate it when we are unsupervised. But, that’s why I think it’s fun.”, she smiles at him. “And, besides, no matter what happens we'll be together.”

He looks over at her for a moment as she locks her little hand with his. It's warm, and kind, he wonders how she became what he recalls of her.

“Yeah…”, he looks out over the city taking in the view. Thinking to himself, ‘what am I supposed to learn here….’.

“It’s just for summer after all…it can’t be that bad.”, she says with a shrug.