Chapter 52

It was as though Bill were walking through a memory. The people around him were all bunched up in crowds, waiting to get tickets and carnival food. The smell of the sweet delights and sounds of music all crashed together with the colorful lights that were strung up everywhere.

 Everything was fantastical, but underneath lay a blonde boy, dreading it all. He felt like something was terribly wrong. His sister pulled him along to the rides he hadn't been on before, the first time for everything he supposed. After one of those rides that could throw anyone's stomach into a loop, Bill excused himself to the men's room.

Tremors had come over his little hands, he hated looking at them but in this instance, he had to. He felt sick, partially due to the spinning of the rollercoaster but also because of the flashes of images that kept coming into his sight. He expected something like this would happen, but he didn't predict it would be this intense from the start. 

Bill sat in the stall for a few minutes with his head in his hands, waiting for it all to pass before he had to go out and face it again. He swallowed dryly, keeping down the pungent taste of bile that was threatening to come up.

The blotches on his arm stung his eyes as he used his hand to weakly push open the stall door. The white of the porcelain sink was stained from years of constant use. One could only imagine what had been poured down its drains. The crackling tile and plaster of the walls were also unappealing, and unsanitary. 

The ick factor made him want to get out of there as soon as possible. He looked up in the mirror and for a split second, he saw someone else. He jumped out of his skin, squeaked at his reflection, and fumbled back.

Bill slammed against one of the stalls; panting hard. For a moment he stayed there, petrified and too spooked to move. He shivered, getting the courage to look one more time, he inched to the sink. Bill sighed when he saw that nothing was there. Just the same little adolescent face he was used to.

He could have sworn he saw someone, different, much older, that bore a resemblance to himself. Whispers began to erupt in his mind, as well as flashes of images. Visions of markings, circular and in unknown patterns came to him. As though, even looking at his mirror image reminded him of something.

"Stop, stop, stop!", he yelped in the open air while holding his own ears, trying to block out the noise. Out of all the chaos rang the sound of bells. They chimed as though unhindered by all the intruding hubbub just outside the restroom and in his mind. His eyes shot open, a polite tapping was coming from the reflective glass. Bill peered over to find The Great Constellation.

"The voices troubling you again, little triangle?", he said with that sickly sweet tone of voice. The creature appeared behind the glass, as though he were trapped inside.

"Yes ...yes it is", he said as he timidly took his palms from his ears. He went over to the mirror to talk to the beast.

"Why didn't you come the other times I called ?", the boy asked with exasperation in his tone.

"I apologize, I've been rather busy lately." Dipper looked to the side as if he were guilty. The boy immediately felt bad for being somewhat harsh. He sighed, letting his guard down around the star creature.