Chapter 38

Just a few minutes earlier, the demon was enjoying the victorious sweet flavor of a strawberry. He savored every moment of this. He was, for once in his life, proud of himself. Happy to be where he was. The thought occurred to him that maybe this could be a lasting thing. Perhaps, he could have what he wanted and needed, ...maybe good things would begin to happen to him as Dipper said.

He smiles to himself warmly, he felt at home somehow. Like, this was where he was meant to be, or at least somewhere like this. He reminisced over the past few months he's spent here in Gravity Falls. The demon holds himself snugly, hugging his own arms; eyes closing softly.

"Where would I be without you, Pinetree.", he said faintly to himself. He'd learned so much in such little time. Was this the life he had been missing? The boy had kept his side of their promise. The demon was learning something new almost every day. His admiration for the boy was endless though he'd never say it, not once. As if he had the right words to describe it anyways.

He thought of Ford, even though, in a strange way, seemed to be lightening up to him being here. The beast compared himself to how he was back then, it seemed unreal that wasn't that long ago. All his wrongdoings seemed so far away now; like a distant memory.

Bill froze, something had suddenly snapped. A shift in the atmosphere occurred in the air as the blue flame clung and wavered in his palm. He looked down at it, shocked, as he was taken over by the sensation to leave. Leave and leave for good. All at this moment, he knew what this must mean.

He shook as his own magic deal forced him into a dead sprint out of the house. This idea had been playing in his mind since he was sent back here. The allure of the woods sang to him. His arms and legs moved without volition. 

The demon wanted to stop it, his lungs felt like they were going to burst. He'd never been forced to run like this before, wind stung like the stitches in his sides. He never thought it would come to this; his afterthoughts in fruition.

The entity heard Dipper calling out to him as he went on; knowing he was the one to have broken the deal. His heart clenched, he didn't want to think of the pained expression that must be plaguing that boy. The beast's second thoughts started to play out before him. Maybe it was better this way?

Perhaps, it was just good enough that he got a taste of what this life was like. He hadn't deserved this in the first place. . It was useless to get so attached to something that wasn't meant for him. It was bold of him to assume he could ever attain or grasp what it was like to be brought down to a human perspective. That axolotl was too forgiving.

Short but sweet? He would be forever thankful that the Pines family gave him this one chance, to be human, to feel. They could never be hurt by him again. Bill almost felt at peace, weightless with this idea. He couldn't have asked for it any other way, except for maybe just a little more time. But, he knew that would be selfish, again, he wouldn't regret a moment of it.

The demon took a rest, resisting the ache in his legs. He panted harshly, the pain made him feel alive. It wasn't as pleasant as he had remembered it. Or maybe, it had been soiled by all the other things he'd been introduced to that was ten times better. Either way, the result was the same.

The boy was hot on his heels, he needed to get away. The urge to run was growing stronger, like the moment before the bird breaks from its cage after battering around. Dipper's voice was fainter now, further away. He couldn't make out anything over the noise of the trees and the brush. 

The demon kept going, his heart raced faster than it ever had before. Humans really did have to put effort into most of what they do. He got to his destination, far from anyone. The beast stopped in his tracks, pondering it all whilst looking up. He took one departing look back into the trees, perhaps, trying to catch a glimpse of those dark eyes once more. 

"Goodbye, Gravity Falls.", The deal pushed him forwards, he grabbed onto the weather-worn rail and began his ascent.