-25 || wonwoo-

Wonwoo knew exactly what this was. It wasn't just a little get-together so he could meet his best friend's boyfriend. No, it was a ruse to get him and Mingyu to tag along for a double date with Jihoon and Seungcheol.

You'd think that after more than 7 years of friendship, Jihoon wouldn't pull this kind of shit with him. Especially with everything that's been going on lately. Jihoon is the only one who knows everything about what went on all those years ago, yet here Wonwoo was, sitting in a restaurant right next to Mingyu while Seungcheol and Jihoon flirted across from them.

He desperately wanted to get up and leave. Although he didn't bother looking, it was like he could feel everyone's eyes on him. His hands were clenched into fists in his lap.

It's only been five minutes. They haven't even ordered their food yet.

Out of the corner of his eye, Wonwoo saw Mingyu lean over towards him. The former would have leaned away if it weren't for the fact that he was already at the edge of his seat.

"Hey, I'm sorry about the article," Mingyu said softly.

Wonwoo found the menu on the table and stared at it in an attempt to ignore the male next to him.

He really was not ready.

🌈

*a few hours earlier*

"Hey, mom," Wonwoo said when he walked through the door. It was rare for her to be home and awake when he got home. Even if he didn't really want to see her at that moment, he wasn't going to waste the opportunity to at least talk to her.

It'd been bothering him all day. She knew how he felt about his father, yet she still brought it up like it'd change his mind. That didn't do any good for his behavior at school.

There were multiple times where he caught himself staring off in space and being called out for it. Or he would just flat ignore everyone around him, including his friends. They weren't offended though. They assumed it was the article that bothered Wonwoo. The latter wasn't about to tell them about his dad. That was something he'd only tell Jihoon.

Wonwoo threw his stuff into his room before making his way to the main living area where his mom sat on the couch watching some kdrama on TV. He sat beside her and took a deep breath.

"I'm not going to see Dad. And I don't want you to either," he said.

She paused the TV and turn ed to her son. "Don't worry. I have no intention of ever seeing him ever again," she promised.

Wonwoo nodded slowly. He'd already made his decision that morning, but spent a lot of time coming with reasons why he should. Of course, none won out in the end.

There was something else that was on his mind as well.

"Hey, mom, would you be willing to give me some advice on something?" he started hesitantly, unsure where this was going to go.

Her eyes widened out of excitement. She gasped just looking at him. "OMG, are you finally interested in somebody?"

It was like he read her mind.

Wonwoo was taken aback. Since then, his mother's been against all kinds of love. He assumed that she wouldn't be happy if he found somebody (not that he was ever interested in someone anyway) and that she would have the opposite reaction to such a thing.He was only going to mention Mingyu with the thought that she would be against it, and that would be that.

Along with the topic he'd gotten rid of, he did spend a lot of time thinking about what he was going to do with Mingyu. The occasional thought came up that he should just try things with Mingyu and go from there. Talking his mom was the final step to figuring out which direction he was going to do.

This was not at all what he was expecting.

"How'd you know that?" Wonwoo asked.

Mrs. Jeon pulled her phone from her pocket, opened something, and handed it to Wonwoo. To his horror, it was a screenshot from the Wonwoo's Lucky video.

"I wasn't going to bring it up unless you wanted to talk about it," she explained. "I know you're wearing contacts right now as well. That boy is your soulmate."

Wonwoo almost dropped the phone but managed to fumble it back into place. He passed it back to her.

"Contacts?" he said like she was crazy. He was slowly starting to panic.

He'd made sure to put them on and take them off as soon as he woke up and went to bed. He then hid the little case in a hidden pocket in his school bag that he always kept under his bed when he was sleeping. He'd hear anyone trying to get to it because he was not a heavy sleeper.

She shook her phone in the air. "There's an app I have that shows what mail we'll be getting everyday."

Wonwoo was at a loss of words as he stared at the woman in front of him. The universe must really be against me, he thought.

"If you want my permission, you have it," Mrs. Jeon said.

He shook his head. "I'm confused," he admitted. "Why are you okay with this? I'm not, but I can't stop it." He was beginning to feel angry tears rising to his eyes. He was so angry about it, and he knows she is too--proof being the bottles she devours every night.

"I know you've spent a lot of your time thinking about how this ended with me and your father even if we were soulmates," she said. "I looked it up once and supposedly, 83% of soulmate couples do make it. Unfortunately, we were a part of that 17%, but it shouldn't stop you from having feelings for someone or dating them.

"Plus I like whoever this Mingyu guy is. He has guts."

Wonwoo remained confused, but knew what he was going to do. He wasn't about to ask what she meant by that l3adt statement thought. He did know that he was going to give Mingyu a chance. Then something else occurred to his.

"You know what kind of family he's from, right?" he asked. His mother nodded.

"Then what happens when they find out what happened to Dad? They're bound to dig at some point."

"They can't stop you two from being soulmates. People would understand," she answered.

Wonwoo nodded in understanding, but didn' really believe her.

Ok. Next time I see him. I'll talk to him next time i see him, and we'll go from there.

🌈

*present time*

Wonwoo bit the inside of his cheek. Oh God.

His best friend must be some kind of mastermind

-

-------------------

a/n: not me realizing i've been spelling Seungcheol's name wrong throughout this whole book-

i'll fix it later lmao