-43 || mingyu-

"This is a bad idea," Mingyu said. They were meeting up to discuss how they were going to get back at Jeonghan for never once losing a bet. As satisfying as the thought became, Mingyu couldn't go through with it, not after what Jisoo told him.

Seungkwan shut the door behind him with a raised brow. "Why not?" He led the way to the basement.

Mingyu sucked in a breath. "Jisoo isn't his soulmate. You aren't going to lose the bet."

The other male stopped suddenly and turned to the tall male. "How would you know? What is that even supposed to mean?"

"It's . . . complicated." Mingyu couldn't tell Seungkwan the complete truth. Jisoo trusted him with it. "But I just know. You can't talk to Jeonghan about it though."

"I haven't even told him about me and Hansol yet," the red-head admitted.

"Anything from Hansol?"

Seungkwan plopped down on the couch with a grunt then grabbed a notebook off the little table in front of him. "He called last night, but I ignored." A sigh. "I think this is the universe's way of telling me it was never meant to be."

Mingyu felt sorry for his friend. For Seungkwan's sake, he really hoped he got over Hansol fast.

"I still want to get back at Jeonghan," Seungkwan declared.

So much for being convincing. "Seriously?"

"Look, I get it. I'm heartbroken. He may or may not end up heartbroken. Who knows? That doesn't change the fact that he still hasn't lost a bet," the red-head said.

Mingyu sighed. "Jisoo plans to kiss him at graduation. Can we at least wait until we find out for sure if they're soulmates or not? If they aren't, you still have a chance at winning the bet."

He could almost see the gears spinning in the younger male's head.

"Okay fine," he said finally. "We can wait until graduation. It's only a couple weeks away anyway."

Mingyu nodded, relieved. He still felt bad for his friends. Everyone around him seemed to be having a hard time, except for him. Everything has worked out for him up to this point. He wished desperately that that was the same for his two closest friends.

"So, is there anyone else you've taken an interest in?" he asked.

"Nobody but that one guy at the party," Seungkwan answered, writing something in the notebook. "I'm pretty sure he wants nothing more than to get in my pants."

"Do you think the soulmate system is rigged?" Mingyu thought aloud. Wonwoo's thoughts were rubbing off on him. He found that to be a good thing because then he got to look at things from another viewpoint.

Seungkwan made a contemplative noise. "There has to be some reason why we're meant for somebody, whether we really like them or not."

"The more I think about it, the less it makes sense to me. Perfect matches should mean perfect compatibility, so why do so many fated relationships fail?" It was something Wonwoo had mentioned during one of their little driving sessions. Mingyu didn't have an answer then; he still doesn't, but maybe Seungkwan did.

"Every system has their glitches and viruses. It'll never be perfect. There will always be some flaw in the finished product, big or small. The soulmate is so simple yet so complex. It's just an eye color. In my opinion, why should that determine who our true match is?" Something changed in his eyes and he grabbed his phone. "I-I'll be right back."

Mingyu knew he was going to go talk to Hansol. He picked up the notebook off the couch and opened it. He knew it was the plan Seungkwan had put together, but he couldn't make sense of any of it. The words just came across as a jumbled mess.

Why should eye color determine who our true match is?

How many soulmates are together just because the universe said they should be? How many fated couples actually love each other for themselves rather than the system?

Mingyu had never truly doubted the soulmate system before.

If Mingyu had approached Wonwoo normally without the kiss, would Wonwoo have taken any interest in him? Does Wonwoo only like him because he's supposed to?

The thought was a painful one.

He didn't know where Seungkwan went or when he'd be back, so he sent the smaller male a text that they'd talk the next day at school. Mingyu needed some fresh air.

He put in his earbuds and blasted his music as loud as it would go to block out the thought. It proved to be useless. The thought wouldn't go away. It kept coming back.

It wasn't true. It couldn't be. Mingyu knew that, so why couldn't he get the stupid thought to go away?

His current and temporary solution? Call Wonwoo.

"Hey," Wonwoo said afelter a few rings. Mingyu knew that he probably ran off to the bathroom so he didn't get caught on his phone.

"Hi," Mingyu said. His mood immediately began to improve, but the thought didn't vanish like he hoped it would.

"You do know I'm working right now, right?" the other male said.

"You used to answer the phone with that," Mingyu mentioned. "Look at how far you've come."

He could imagine Wonwoo rolling his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Why'd you call?" the elder asked.

The tall male motioned for a taxi. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm stopping by the library."

"I told you I'm-"

"Working. I know, but that isn't going to stop me." Mingyu didn't bother covering the microphone when he told the driver where to go.

Wonwoo sighed, but it wasn't an unhappy sigh. "You're coming from Seungkwan's?"

"Yep."

"Alright. See you in twenty then." With that, the elder hung up.

Mingyu smiled at the screen. He'd talk to Wonwoo when he got the chance, but for now, he would push the thought down and out of sight.

--------------------