-33 || mingyu-

"There have been zero cases of a single person having more than one soulmate," Mr. Kang said. "For several years, studies have been conducted on those who have lost their soulmate, and not a single one came out with a positive outcome. Everyone has either one or none when it comes to their soulmate.

"A thin white ring forms around the iris when one loses their soulmate or is born without one. Imagine the link between soulmates as a string. When one loses their soulmate, that string is cut and has nothing to hold onto but itself, therefore forming a ring connecting the ends."

The teacher continued to drone on while Mingyu took notes. Every now and then, he'd glance over his shoulder.

No, Wonwoo still wasn't here. His seat's been empty all morning. Mingyu released another sigh. One more to add to the ever growing list.

It's been a couple of days since he'd seen Wonwoo. His friends say that he's just been sick. Mingyu's texted but all he's been told is that everything's fine--that something came up.

Class ended and Mingyu walked sluggishly to the cafeteria. Seungkwan came up behind him. The other male's eyes were puffy. He must have been hiding in the bathroom crying.

Mingyu threw an arm over his friend's shoulder. "Me, you, and Jeonghan should all do something this weekend," he said. A guy's weekend was something he knew Seungkwan needed.

The red-head has been stuck in his head for days now. What he needed was a distraction and possibly a therapist, which Mingyu believed he could provide.

Seungkwan rejected the idea almost immediately. "No. Don't let me stop you from spending time with your soulmates," he said, his voice flat and unfeeling. It really hurt Mingyu to see him this way.

"Hansol still hasn't texted, has he?" Mingyu said gently.

"No, he did." Seungkwan looked up at him then. "I just don't know what to say. Both of our soulmates are still out there. How can we . . . how can we truly love each other when our missing piece is still out there?"

Mingyu squeezed Seungkwan's shoulder. He didn't know what else he was supposed to say.

People say that a soulmate it your True Love. That's the person you are meant to be with whether you really feel for them or not. He knew his father loved Jisoo's mom, but would the relationship have been at all possible if his mother and Jisoo's father were still alive?

He knew where Seungkwan was coming from. The idea of having another person be perfect for someone else messed with everyone's perception of love. Just because someone's supposed to love that person doesn't mean they should have to.

Mingyu thought about Wonwoo then. The older male was so set on denying him as his soulmate. Mingyu never figured out why. Based on what he knew about his soulmate, Mingyu guessed that something must have happened with his parents. It made perfect sense.

Wonwoo's mother had colored eyes but didn't have a white ring. Yet, Wonwoo's father seems to be completely out of the picture.

It occurred to Mingyu then, that Wonwoo didn't believe in the soulmate system at all. Worse yet, he must not believe in love in general.

"Hey guys," Jeonghan greeted them.

The two newcomers nodded in acknowledgement as they sat at the their usual table with their food. Soonyoung, Seokmin, and Junhui were all there as well. They'd invited themselves to the table in an attempt to get Wonwoo to sit with Mingyu.

"Where's Jisoo?" Mingyu asked. His step brother had been sitting at the table with them too for the past couple of days.

"He had a thing for journalism club," Jeonghan said, taking a sip from his water bottle.

Soonyoung leaned over to them. "Hey, I'm throwing a party tonight. Interested?" he said.

Seungkwan immediately shook his head, Jeonghan and Mingyu shrugged.

"Jisoo wanted to do something later. Maybe we'll stop by," Jeonghan said.

Seokmin snorted. "I can imagine what 'something' means."

Junhui rolled his eyes. "Perv."

Jeonghan flushed and made a face. "Guys, we aren't dating."

They continued to banter. Mingyu watched in silent amusement as he ate his food. He was smiling but felt kind of empty inside

The bell rang, and they all stood up to dispose of their plates. Mingyu went through the rest of school glumly. Maybe he'd stop by the library to see if Wonwoo was there afterwards. He didn't want to show up to his house invited.

Yeah, that's what he"d do. He'd stop by the library. If Wonwoo wasn't there, it's likely Jihoon will be. He could ask Jihoon what was wrong Wonwoo. Afterall, Wonwoo and Jihoon were close.

When school was over, Mingyu instructed his driver to take him to the library. Without question, the driver did as he was told.

"Welcome," Jihoon said from the front desk as he began organizing. He must have just gotten here. He didn't look up to see Mingyu.

"Hey, Jihoon," the other said, stepping up to the desk.

The smaller male looked up then. He studied Mingyu for a second before saying, "I was wondering when you were going to show up."

Mingyu swallowed and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Is Wonwoo here?"

Jihoon shook his head. "No, he's off for the next few days."

"Is he really okay?"

The orange-haired male didn't respond immediately which gave Mingyu his answer. "What happened?" he asked. "He's not hurt, right?"

"Not physically, no. Mentally, I'm not so sure. He's closed me off too," Jihoon admitted.

"So you haven't seen him since that day?"

"No."

"Do you think he'd want to see me?"

"Probably not," Jihoon said. There was a pause. "But I think you should go see him anyway."

Mingyu leaned against the desk. "What makes you think that? You're closer to him than I am."

Jihoon shrugged. "Just a hunch. He really likes you, you know."

The taller male blushed. "Do you, uh, know where he is right now?"

"At home, probably."

A group of students came in then. Jihoon welcomed them and smiled softly at Mingyu. "Don't worry. He'll let you in."

Mingyu nodded. "Thanks, Jihoon." With that he walked out of the library. He stopped by his car and told the driver that he could go. He'd call Seungkwan or Jeonghan later for a ride.

Once the driver was gone, he took a deep breath and started walking.

--------------------

a/n: expect a few more chapters within the next couple of days. i think this story will be a little longer than i originally intended it to be 😀