-14 || mingyu-

(After Mingyu and Seungchol left the business party)

"Where are we going?" Mingyu asked as he took the helmet Seungchol offered him.

"Like I said: to an actual party. I always hate business parties. Especially when my parents try to set me up with people," Seungchol answered, putting his own helmet on. He climbed onto the motorcycle and motioned for Mingyu to get on.

Mingyu climbed on and hesitated. He'd seen plenty of motorcycles to know that the only safe place to hang on for safety as the passenger is the person in front of them. Seungchol rolled his eyes and wrapped Mingyu's arms arpund his waist.

"Don't worry. I have a soulmate," the older said.

Now, Mingyu had dozens of questions, but he couldn't talk as they drove. He himself was thinking that he was cheating on Wonwoo, what with his arms wrapped around some guy he'd just met. That was stupid, of course. Him and Wonwoo weren't together, and Seungchol had a soulmate. Suddenly, the ride felt much longer than it should.

They finally reached the party's destination. Mingyu has been to plenty of parties. This one was no different from the usual. Really, he didn't like parties, but this was an escape from his father, and he preferred this over the business parties anyway.

Seungchol led Mingyu through the large house to the kitchen. "Do you drink?"

Mingyu shook his head. "No, I don't like alcohol."

"I don't either." Seungchol tossed him a can of soda before grabbing his own, and together they went on to navigate the house.

People greeted Seungchol and talked to Mingyu as if they'd met before. Finally, they settled on the back patio near the outside pool. There were only a few people around. Those who wanted a midnight swim were using the inside pool.

Mingyu glanced at Seungchol. "So, soulmate. Are they here?"

"Nah, he doesn't like parties," Seungchol answered. "If you're wondering about the eyes, I have to wear contacts when I go out. My parents don't know I have a soulmate." He scoffed. "It's honestly a pain in the ass. Parents kinda suck."

"I kinda get that," Mingyu agreed.

"You have a soulmate, too?" the other questioned.

"Yeah, but we aren't together."

"It's that one guy from the video, isn't it?"

Mingyu leaned forward and put his face in his hands with a groan. "I forget that pretty much everyone saw that video." He sighed. "But yeah. He's my soulmate, and he's not even interested."

"Damn. Has he told you why?"

"No," Mingyu said. Then to change the subject away from him, "Anyway, what about you and your soulmate? What is your guys' story?" He's always been interested in hearing other people's soulmate stories. He often imagined how his would play out. He never thought his story would play out the way it has been.

Seungchol grinned. "We met in our first year of high school. He approached me first, actually. When he confessed, bam, it was suddenly meant to be."

"Why don't your parents know?" Mingyu asked.

"He doesn't want them to know. His parents are the type of people who'll take advantage of those who are rich, and he doesn't want that. If my parents found out, they make it this into big the thing," Seungchol explained.

"I see. So, nobody knows at all then? How do you two deal with that?"

"Easy. We live together. In secret, of course."

"And your parents suspect nothing?" Mingyu was feeling kind of jealous of Seungchol. Even if they had to hide their relationship, at least his soulmate loved him back.

"Nah. We both just say we live with a roommate when people ask. In public, we pretend the other doesn't exist. But enough about me." Seungchol took a swig from his can. "I think I have a solution to your own problem."

"I really don't think you do," Mingyu said. "Wonwoo wants nothing to do with me."

"But that doesn't stop you from trying, does it?" Seungchol said, hitting spot on. "If he wants nothing to do with you, why do you continue to try to win over his heart."

Mingyu had an answer. "Because I can't bring myself to let him go. Not just because he's my soulmate, but I might actually be in love with him."

Seungchol smiled softly. "Do you want to hear my idea?"

Mingyu found himself nodding.

"My idea is to approach the subject in a way he won't get mad at you," the other told him. "He knows of your feelings, right?"

Mingyu was beginning to get concerned. "Yes . . . ?"

"What you need to do is act drunk."

Mingyu wasn't expecting that. "How the fuck do I act drunk if I never have been?"

Seungchol led them back into the house where everyone was partying. "Look around us. We're surrounded by alcohol-influenced high-schoolers. It can't be that hard."

Mingyu took in his surroundings. People were stumbling around, slurring their words, and doing things they'd never do if they were sober. "I don't see how acting drunk is going to help me at all."

"The thing is, people do a lot of stupid shit when they're drunk. If you approach him while you're 'drunk', he's most likely going to blame your lack of judgement on the alcohol. He may also realize that there's more going on between you two than what he'd like to admit."

Mingyu contemplated this. It wasn't bad idea. If it worked, more power to him. If not, the alcohol would be to blame, and he'd still have another chance.

"Okay, what do I do first?" Mingyu asked.

"Step one: call him and ask to stay over at his place," Seungchol said.

Mingyu paused. "Ask to stay over? What do you think I want to do?"

"You can't give him a chance to escape. If he just drops you off somewhere, how would you be able to make your move without getting kicked out of the vehicle?"

"Oh, okay, I get it, now."

They stepped back outside where it was quieter. They sorted out a few other details before Mingyu pulled his phone from his pocket. He had opened Wonwoo's contact when the device began vibrating in his hand and Wonwoo's name appeared on the screen. He glanced at Seungchol.

"Just remember to make it believable," Seungchol said.

Mingyu accepted the call and put the phone to his ear. Before the other could say anything, he pushed back his pride, and said, "Wonwon, hi~"

🌈

His heart beat uncontrollably, loud and fast, as he waited for an answer from Wonwoo. He wouldn't be surprised if the other could feel it.

At first, Wonwoo didn't say or do anything. He stood frozen in Mingyu's arms. Mingyu was contemplating on ditching the plan and coming forward, but then Wonwoo moved his hand away from him and almost inaudibly said, "I can't."

Mingyu wasn't stupid. His arms fell to his sides and he took a few steps backward. Clearly, he'd done something wrong. Really, this whole plan was wrong. What had he been thinking?

"I'm sorry," he said. "Are you okay?"

Wonwoo grabbed some random articles of clothing without really looking then turned to Mingyu. "You can take my bed. I'll take my mom's room."

Mingyu let him leave. The older male didn't even get mad at him for the hug. He wanted to go after Wonwoo, but what would he say? Oh, hey, I'm not really drunk. I pretended to be so I can make a move on you. Now, how can I comfort you?

He knew that would just make things worse. He folded the blanket and rolled up the mattress then neatly slipped those along with the pillow back where Wonwoo had grabbed it. He left the room. Wonwoo was nowhere in sight. The woman they had seen when they stepped in still laid on the couch, but she now had a blanket over her and there was no evidence that she had been drinking. Wonwoo must have come and cleaned up.

Mingyu stepped outside quietly and dialed Seungkwan's number. He began walking down the street.

"What's up?" Seungkwan said.

"Are you still on your date?" Mingyu asked rubbing his arms in response to the cold breeze.

"Our movie just ended, actually. Do you need a ride?"

"Yeah. I'm two blocks away from the library," Mingyu told him. "I'll meet you there."

"What are you doing out there?" Seungkwan asked. "The library is like half an hour away from your dad's company."

Mingyu sighed. "It's a long story. Let's just say my dad tried to set me up with someone again. It kinda escalated from there." It was mostly the truth. He couldn't bring himself to talk about his idiocy with Wonwoo. The way the older male looked at him before he'd left the room was imprinted in Mingyu's mind. 

"Doesn't he know about Wonwoo?"

"Yeah, he does, but . . ." He glanced back in the direction of Wonwoo's house. "Look, I've gotta go."

"Okay. I'll meet you at the library in twenty."

Mingyu hung up and jogged the few meters back to his soulmate's place. He reached for the doorknob and at last second let his hand drop to his side. Wonwoo probably didn't want to see him right now, and he sure as hell wouldn't want to see him in the morning either.

He sat on the steps leading up to the door for moment. He ended up texting Wonwoo.

Mingyu
Seungkwan's date ended early. See you tomorrow 😊

He stood up, surprised when his phone made noise. He hadn't been expecting an answer.

Wonwoo
OK 👌

-------------------

a/n: quadruple update to make up for all the updates i missed since i disappeared for a month 🤫