Chapter 9

Mark's POV

A hypocrite is what I am. A traitor for saving the life of a creature that was responsible for the death of my mother.

My purpose was to hunt and kill them, eradicate them from our existence. It was the perfect moment to prove that I was nothing like my father...that I was better than he'd ever been because a Fae would greet death by my hands.

Yet, here I was, staring at the beautiful demon whose breathing was obnoxiously slow for something so feared by the human race. And the worse part is, I found myself worrying about its wounds.

Those things that went after it didn't look common. They weren't something we humans knew about. They fought like hunters, but their appearance was far from the facial features of a human. They were huge...bigger than the form of a rogue werewolf. Their claws resembled ones of a griffin and from what I could've seen, they were sharp with precision in their aim. Sure, it was dark, but the moonlight allowed me to take note of such recognizable yet unusual details.

"Lucas...," the fae suddenly croaked. Its voice was strained, barely even audible. But considering the amount of damage taken to its body, I truly believed that death would take them. Regardless of my thoughts though, I still tried my best to stop its wounds from bleeding out, but there was not much I could've done in an unmarked forest.

I watched as it tried to raise its weakened body from the ground, making its wounds aggravated by each strangled movement. Clearly, the demon was unaware of how awful its state was.

"Stop moving," I carefully placed my hands on top of its arms. This was something the creature often did while I was watching it which was why I didn't expect it to hold onto my wrist so tightly soon after I spoke.

"Get off of me," the creature immediately hissed, their grip tightening as they pushed me away. For something that's injured badly, it sure did have an insane amount of strength left. No wonder why it didn't die so easily.

"A thank you would be appreciated," I rolled my eyes, unbothered by the creature's act of hiding its body from me. I was so focused on the wounds that I hadn't realized how exposed its body was.

"You are a hunter," it eyed me up and down. I assumed it was much aware of my family's symbol that was marked on my wrist. It was a crescent moon with a dagger pierced through it horizontally. Anyone with good observation would've been able to pinpoint my connection to the hunters' bloodline. Sometimes I hated where my mark was placed, finding Hendery quite lucky for his to be situated somewhere more hidden.

"Am I really?" I tilted my head as I sneaked my hand around my knife. Sure it was in a fragile state, but faes were dangerous. And the situation, which I take full responsibility for putting myself in, was a rather unpredictable one with an unknown outcome. "I hadn't noticed."

"What did you do to me?" The creature softly questioned me. Its eyes were glistening with tears and its body was shivering from the cold. I didn't understand why my heart ached slightly from the sight but I could only assume it was my emotions acting so humane.

"What did I do to you?" I scoffed, "you got it all wrong, imp. If it was me that did this to you...I can assure you wouldn't be alive as we speak."

"I am not an imp," the creature's tone was more serious. It tried to stand on its own but I could see the weight of its wings holding them back.

"But your kind might as well be."

"My kind?" The creature's face morphed into pain, but I paid it no mind as I replied while picking up my bow. "Yes. You faes are nothing, but trouble. A curse that was handpicked by the devil himself."