Chapter 40

Taeil's POV

Rage. My entire being felt consumed by the unrestrained and tempestuous emotion. As I swiftly made my way to my own kingdom; my mind was plagued by the events that lead me to this very moment. Each memory that's flashed through my mind seemed to only fuel the tumultuous spikes of anger that increased each time my feet fell to the uneven earth.

Not only was my anger irrepressible, but the reason for my ever increasing wrath changed as I recount the events of the past few hours. I was enraged that some insolent fool from my kingdom was stupid enough to not only go against me but the Fae King and Queen. I was angry that my own son was foolish enough to not only jeopardize his own safety but the safety of another. But worst of all, I was angry with myself for not having the courage to decapitate Donghae when I had the chance. 

The Fae Queen had been right. Donghae was a soulless creature that was responsible for the death and destruction of so many in Paitha and yet my heart shattered at the thought of cleaving my sword through the neck I had claimed so reverently. Even now, a faint whisper of agony shutter throughout my body as I recall using that very same sword and burying it in Donghae's chest. Yet despite this, I know what must be done. And no matter how much my heart may cry out in anguish....This time Lee Donghae will die.

Sealing this promise deep within my cold and undead heart, I took in the bloodied room before me as Yuta crouched down to assess the dead bodies on the ground below. "Do you think the boy's did this?" I gritted out in a cold distant tone. Yuta briefly set his gaze on me and said "No actually, This was all Jisung. Seems as if they pissed him off."

"Interesting to know that he did in fact inherit his father's short temper" I retorted as I continued to scan the room for the any clues of the missing boys. Yuta simply sighed as he eased himself into a standing position and said "Seems as if all of our kids have inherited the worst of parts of our traits. Since they all have a talent for running off and solving issues on their own."

Despite the situation, I found myself slightly smiling as I recalled the conversation we had stumbled upon back at the castle.

Flashback

Author's POV

"It's all my fault." These words seem to repeatedly echo across the silent room as everyone took in the shaking form of the Vampire King. Not wanting to see his friend consume with guilt any longer, Taeyong knelt beside the broken vampire and gently pulled him into his grasp as he whispered "None of this is your fault Taeil.... In fact, you  have done what no one would have the strength to do."

Hearing these words, Doyoung stepped towards the two males to take up a spot on the group below. Very softly the Fae Queen uttered "Taeyong's right. You are not at fault for anything that has happen. Do I wish to have known this information before hand? Of course...But I do not blame you Taeil. Not when I know I would rather burn the world before I caused any harm to my mate."

Taeil placed his teary gazed on Doyoung upon hearing this and said weakly "Do you really?" However, before the Fae could respond the vampire king's advisor burst through the room and said breathlessly "Your Majesty! Prince Jaemin and the warlock boy are gone."

Instantly, Taeil, Doyoung and Taeyong sprang to their feet and Doyoung cast a glance at his husband. And without a word from the Queen, Johnny said "We can still track them, I'll get Jaehyun and Yuta." as he dashed out of the castle. Taeil's heart ached momentarily at the exchange between the two mates. Sorrowfully realizing he would never get to experience such understanding with his other half for the rest of his existence.

Yet it was only in that moment he allowed himself to feel pity for something that will never happen; for in the next moment he was rushing out of the room behind the other royals and shouted "Was Jaemin and the boy taken as well?" Taeil's chest flooded with relief as Ten exclaimed "No, it seems they went after Jisung." Now approaching the room with the other kids. Faint arguments could be heard from the outside and someone shouted "I'M NOT STAYING HERE WHILE MY BROTHER AND MY-"

However the young boys words were cut short as Sicheng opened the door to the safe room and said with deathly calm "You and everyone else are going to stay right here and let the adults handle this." Fury encompassed the young wolf's face and was about to let out s retort when his mother gave a low warning growl. Once again the youngest fae prince intervened on behalf of the young alpha and said with all the determination and grace of a Queen "Why stay here, when we can help?"

It was Doyoung who responded to the boy and said "Because it's more dangerous than you think and it's not up for debate." At that the boy only glared at his mother while Kun spoke up and said "I know where they are." Before anyone else could respond, Taeil gritted out "Then lead the way." He then placed his attention to the remaining males in the room and said "I'll take the others with me." And with a quick glance to Taeyong he said almost quietly "I'll bring your boy back." The Omega only gave the Vampire King a slight nod before he exited the room with Kun and Ten.

End of flashback

Taeil's POV

"They found them." Jaehyun's deep voice forced me out of my thoughts. As soon as the words registered I stammered out "Are they okay?" The alpha then responded "Yeah...they some how ended up at the pack house." He then took a deep breath and continued "Sehun said Jaemin looked a bit pale but they're okay. Taeyong is headed there now to check on them."

A weird tension had suddenly settled in the atmosphere. Jaehyun was regarding me with a certain level of caution and I couldn't really blame him for it. But instead of addressing the uneasiness that was between them, the wolf only said "Kun and I are going to head over to the pack house...You should come." After a few silent moments, i finally said to Jaehyun "Okay..."

Before we could exist the blood soaked room, Yuta said to no one in particular "And what about the vampires we caught on our way in ?" I turned to the elf and in a dead panned voice I said "Tell Ten to get whatever information he can by any means necessary...Then kill them all." Yuta then said "Are you sure?" I only shrugged as I said "They took one of ours...They don't deserve to live." And exited the room.