Chapter 25: Spring Festival (Part 4)

3rd Person POV:

As Maki and Kaito made their way towards the auditorium, Shuichi quickly walked towards the entrance of the festival, searching for the flower stand Maki had mentioned. Once he had found it he stopped in his tracks, he had realized he never asked what exactly her favourite flower was. Anxiety started to build up, what if he chose the flower Kaede hated the most? He never knew he could get so stressed over choosing a flower.

Shuichi decided to rely on luck and observed the flower selections. There were roses, orchids, carnations, lilies and camellias. He thought hard about his selection. Orchids, lilies, roses and carnations were all the appropriate choice since those flowers are usually given after a performance, but he couldn't help but focus his gaze on the camellias. It was as if the flowers were calling out to him. He read about their meaning once, and wondered if he should get them for Kaede, if she knew the meaning of these flowers then his love for her would be quite obvious. He sighed and decided to continue to rely on his luck, he gave the stand owner 264 yen and in return the stand owner gave Shuichi a bouquet of red camellias. He also stopped by a stand that was selling dango and got 3 of them in a small container.

Shuichi glanced at his watch, the time was now 2:50. He panicked, he couldn't run because one, the flowers would look messed up by the time he gave them to Kaede and two, he didn't really think he couldn't run in his kimono. He decided to speed walk his way back to the entrance of the school, hoping that Kaedes performance wasn't the first performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maki and Kaito entered the auditorium and was surprised to find their entire class there, they walked closer to them as they waved. The only person to notice the two was Kokichi, he grinned and started to yell,

"Hey guys! Look who decided to finally show up!"

The entire crowd turned towards Maki and Kaito, some of them waved hello and the others just smiled.

"Hey guys, I'm actually a bit surprised to see you all here." Kaito commented as he looked at the crowd of students in front of him.

"As one of Kaedes closest friends I decided to put it upon myself to get everyone to attend her performance." Kirumi answered. Gonta then added, "Gonta love music! So Gonta don't mind coming! Anything for friend of Gonta!" when it was clear that Kirumis sentence wasn't done yet.

Kirumi didn't mind though and patted Gonta on the shoulder as she gave him a soft smile. "It was quite easy to get most of them to attend. The only problems were Kokichi and Himiko."

Once again Kirumi was interrupted, "Heyyyyy mom! I ended up coming didn't I?" Kokichi whined. "Nyeh? We're at the auditorium? But you said we were going to see a magic show.." Himiko added as she rubbed her sleepy eyes with her finger.

Kirumi looked more annoyed then when Gonta interrupted her. She was on the verge of yelling at both Himiko and Kokichi. She kept her composure and continued, "What was I saying... oh yes, then I went looking for Rantaro, he said he was already planning to come which was surprising for him. He offered to help me find the rest of the class. Anyways-"

Kirumi continued to talk as Kaito and Maki looked at each other worriedly then into the crowd. Their gaze fixated on a tall green haired man with a pastel green kimono and a dark green obi who was stepping towards them. He was also wearing glasses which was shocking, they hadn't seen him wearing glasses since their first year together.

"Hey guys." Rantaro said, nonchalantly.

"Hey four eyes." Maki answered with a bit of anger in her voice. Kaito put his hand on her shoulder and whispered, "Keep it cool, don't start up a scene." Maki sighed and nodded.

"Surprising seeing you here, Ranataro." Kaito said, looking at Rantaro straight in the eyes.

"Didn't expect to see you here either Kaito, didn't know you were into these types of things. Or," he paused. He smirked then continued his sentence, "Are you just here because you're crushing on Kaede again?"

Kaito looked at him shocked, his eyes wide opened. Rantaro was the only person who knew about his little crush on Kaede back when they all first stepped foot into Hopes Peak. Rantaro turned to Maki and bent down so then he could be at eye level. He put his hands on his waist and continued, "Does it hurt knowing your little boyfriend had a crush on your bestfriend before he started developing feelings for you?"

Kaito panicked as Maki clenched her fist.

"Ooooo it's 'bouta go down!" Kokichi said as he pulled out some popcorn.

"Get him Maki! Don't let that degenerate male win!" Tenko yelled.

The entire class was staring, all eager to know what was going to happen next. Maki stared at the floor, worried that if she were to look at Rantaro's face, she would loose it and punch him.

"Well? Are you just going to stand there miss ultimate assassin? Or are you going to do something about the little comment I made?" Rantaro said with a smirk.

Maki didn't answer.

"Rantaro I think you should stop-" Kaito said pushing Rantaro away from Maki.

"Wow, she's that afraid to stand up for herself that her little astronaut boyfriend has to help out. Jeez, and here I thought you were the ultimate assassin, more like the ultimate scaredy-cat."

Maki had finally snapped. She looked up at Rantaro, dead in the eyes and said "I've had enough of your bullshit." And right when she was about to punch him Kirumi grabbed her arm.

"Let's all calm down, remember we are at a auditorium, not a gymnasium." She shot Maki and Rantaro a glance that was scarier then Makis death stare. Kirumi slowly put down Makis arm and Rantaro slowly walked back into the crowd.

"Aren't we missing that Blue haired newbie?" Ryoma said, his deep voice scaring half of the people there.

"Now that the midget mentioned it, where is that virgin?" Miu said looking around.

Kaito thought for a moment then a light bulb appeared, "Oh yeah, he's out getting flowers for Kaede." Kaito smiled at the thought as he wrapped his arm around Maki.

"Khihihi, human emotions are truly fascinating." Korekiyo commented as he hugged himself.

"Praise be to Atua for finally giving our friend Shuichi the courage to give our lovely Kaede flowers! Nyahahaha!" Angie said with a happy smile.

Suddenly the lights dimmed and their attention was brought towards the bright stage. A ginger haired girl in a maids outfit appeared, Kaito and Maki had seen her before. The women tapped the mic to check if it worked.

"Hello everyone! My names Chisa Yukizome and your principle and I are glad you all could make it. I'd advise you all to take a seat now, our first performance from Sayaka Maizono will begin shortly. Thank you!"

As the women walked off the stage the audience including Kaito and Makis class went to find seats. Their class chose the seats right in the middle of the auditorium. Maki and Kaito sat next to each other. Kaito wrapped his arm around Maki once more, which made Maki go a bit pink. He smiled and kept glancing at the free seat to his right, hoping that Shuichi could make it on time for Kaedes performance.

To be continued...