Chapter 34: The Last Day Before Summer Break (Part 5)

Kaedes POV:

I had easily gotten to my locker after the bell rang which was the first. Usually the hallways are packed right after the bell rings but I guess most of the classes had to stay behind for who knows what. Teachers these days would make up anything to keep the kids in class a little longer then they're supposed to, it annoying.

I shoved my gym bag in my locker and tried closing it, only to realize that my disorganized locker wasn't closing (like always).

"I got lucky with the hallways being unpacked, now the universe is making my locker not close, great."

I sighed and started putting all my weight on to the locker for it to at least close a little so I can quickly shove my lock in and close it. To be honest this is partially my fault, I should clear this locker out one day but will I? No. Where will I put all my pieces? I can't keep them all at home since I need them all the time at school. Why can't lockers just be bigger?

I heard a loud crunch noise coming from my locker and that's when I knew my locker had closed... and probably broke something. I quickly shoved my lock in and closed my locker. I stood there trying to catch my breath as I wiped my forehead.

I suddenly heard a familiar laugh coming from the side of me. I blushed in embarrassment as I turned to see the face of Shuichi Saihara.

"Quite the battle you had there." He said with a lovely smile, trying to control his laughter.

Trying to fight the embarrassment I answered, "Kaede 1 locker 0"

Shuichi chuckled once more and took a glance at my locker, then back to me. "Well to the way it's bulking up, I feel like it's about to be locker 1 Kaede 0. Let's get out of here before that thing explodes."

As we walked away from my locker, I had just realized I never actually took the books I needed for 3rd period. A dark cloud suddenly spawned on top of my head and tears started streaming down my face.

"Kaede? Is everything alright?" Shuichi asked concerned.

I put a thumbs up and answered, "Yep, just remind me to organize my locker." I smiled as tears just continued to stream down my face (I could've sworn I also heard lighting coming from that dark cloud.)

Shuichi nodded and still looked at me a bit concerned. He took out a packet of tissue from his pocket and handed them to me. How did I ever manage to get someone as caring as Shuichi.

My gaze shifted to the sign behind Shuichi's head, it read "Research Labs." Research labs... why do I feel like I'm forgetting something. I tapped my chin as I tried my hardest to remember. Shuichi stared at me trying to understand what exactly I was doing. Suddenly it clicked, I needed to meet Maki in her research lab! I took a glance at my phone, free time was almost over. She must be so angry at me right now, I need to head there quickly. I quickly kissed Shuichi on the cheek, which froze him in place and ran to the research lab.

After a little running I managed to get to her research lab and entered. The lab was filled with knives, bows, guns and other assassination weapons. There was also dummies placed in a section of the room and some targets hanging from the ceiling in the same section. A beautiful red coat was also seen in the middle of the room, I wonder if she actually ever wears that? It was also much more organized then my locker for such a small room if I do say so myself. I examined the room to see where Maki was but there was no sign of her.

"Maybe she also forgot?"

Suddenly a knife flew right past my face, causing a little cut on my cheek. I gulped as I saw a figure emerge from the shadows.

"M-Maki? What's going on?!" I asked frightened. I know every time she asks to see someone at her lab it's to talk about something serious but what could I have done to get a knife thrown at?

"Consider that a warning." She answered with a dead lifeless face.

"What do you mean a warning? Maki what the hell is going on?!" I asked once again hoping for an answer this time.

She zipped towards me with another knife in her hand. She was only a few centimetres away from me, the knife has only a few millimetres away from my throat. I gulped, my legs were shaking immensely. Was I going to die here?

"Tell me Kaede..." she started, "What exactly were you doing in the bathroom?"

"Excuse me?" I answered confused. "Are you asking me what I do in the bathroom or—"

"Don't play smart with me Akamatsu what the fuck were you doing in the bathroom during second period?"

The knife got closer to my neck. My body was pressed against the wall behind me by Makis other
arm, the one without the knife. In a panic, I put my arms up in the air and closed my eyes.

"I surrender Maki. I have no clue what you're talking about, but I know that even if I try to plead my case, you'll still think I'm guilty of whatever I did. So just get it over with and murder me."

Tears started to stream down my face. Never would I have thought I would be murdered by my own friend. I prepared myself for the amount of pain that was going to be inflicted into my throat but then suddenly, the presence of the knife felt further away then normal. I opened my eyes to see Maki staring at the ground, the knife that was originally in her hand had fallen on the ground.

"Hey Maki is everything alrig-"

I was interrupted by a hug that came from Maki?! Was the earth spinning in the other direction today?

"I'm sorry Kaede, I thought that you— never mind."

I smiled but right when I was about to answer I passed out.

I woke up in a new place for what felt like a few seconds later.

"Am I in heaven?" I asked myself out loud.

The person there answered, "No, you're in the nurses office sweetheart. You were out for a while, third period is almost over."

My eyes widened in shock. I had passed out?

"You could miss the rest of your third period class, there's no use going in now."

I nodded at the nurse. She handed me a slip that had information for my third period teacher. It was explaining why I missed third period and what had happened.

I put down the note and stared off into the ceiling asking myself, what was that all about?

Current time: 12:25 pm
Time remaining: 2 hours and 20 minutes