Chapter 40: First Attempt

Rantaro's POV:

I watched Maki and Kaito walk back into the game room. I continued with my original goal and made my way to the kitchen to get some chips and maybe a drink. Once I had obtained the two items, I sat down on a stool which was prompted right in front of the kitchen counter and thought of what they had asked me to do.

Yes, I had been getting closer with Kaede again as of lately but what if she gets suspicious of me again asking about her and Shuichi? Though I must admit, I am very intrigued, did they really break up?

I decided to open the soda I took and I continued to ponder. Why ask me out of all people to ask her though? Miu is also close with Kaede couldn't they just have asked her? Their entire plan was a bit risky for me —- wait, don't tell me, is their actual plan to make me a bad guy again? If so then there's no way I'm going to ask her about her current relationship status with Shuichi, no matter how curious I get!

Suddenly, someone walked into the kitchen and sat right next to me.

"Hey Rantaro! It was taking you a little long to get the chips so I came to check on you!"

It was Kaede.

"Speak of the devil, I was just thinking about you Kaede-"

"You were what?-"

She stared at me, a bit uncomfortable with what I had just said. If there was an award for saying the dumbest things in the world, I would definitely win it, without a doubt.

I frantically shook my free hand, "No no wait- that came out wrong ah ha you see what I meant to say was-"

I paused, I can't lie for the life of me. Kaede sat there staring at me waiting for me to finish my sentence. I gave up and put my head on the counter.

"No, no that's a exactly what I meant..."

"Okayy—- well I'm just here to inform you that everyone's getting ready to get into the water, and you should too! "

I lifted up my head from the counter and held it up with my other hand. I nodded, "Thanks for letting me know Kaede."

"No problem!" She responded, with a smile. Well- at least I think that's a smile? It wasn't one of her usual ones, it was different. Fake.

"I'll see you there then!" She waved goodbye as she left the kitchen and went up the stares.

I went back into the pondering state that I was in before. Alright then, it seems like I'm going to have to do a bit of snooping. I know damn well that the crying episode she had not too long ago and this fake smile are definitely not because she lost a music piece.

*+*Time Skip*+*

"This swim short?" I said grabbing the floral one. "I'm not really feeling the flowers.. maybe this one? Oh yeah definitely this one." I said holding up the dark green ones. Once I put them on I made my way downstairs where Kokichi, Miu and Kiibo were surprisingly having a normal conversatio- no wait, from closer inspection, Kiibo's tied up and there was a suit case of money in the middle of the table and it seems like Miu and Kokichi are negotiating something in sunglasses? You know what I don't even ask anymore. I was about to continue walking down the stairs when someone rudely bumped into me.

"Sorry didn't see you there.." Maki had said rolling her eyes. She was in her signature red color just this time it was in a form of a bikini that had black ruffles as well.