Chapter 27: Spring Festival (Part 5.5)

3rd Person POV:

"Kaede!"

Shuichi and Kaede turned their attention to the backstage entrance. The person who stood there was none other then Rantaro Amami.

"Rantaro?" Shuichi said confused. "You have glasses?"

Rantaro ignored Shuichi's question and went straight towards Kaede. Kaede was scared, she knew he was here but was hopping they wouldn't make any form of contact. Shuichi noticed Kaedes fear and swiftly moved in front of her as a way of protecting her from Rantaro.

"What do you want Rantaro?" Shuichi asked annoyed.

"It has nothing to do with you, I want to speak to Kaede privately." Rantaro stated.

Shuichi stared at him with a look that had the words "Are you serious" plastered all over his face. "We all know what happened last time she was with you privately Rantaro."

Well that comment surely irritated Rantaro but he didn't loose it and just calmly responded, "Can I please just speak to Kaede."

Shuichi was pissed off at this point. "Who do you think you are? No you can't speak to her I won't allow you to-"

Suddenly Kaede tugged on his kimono from behind. He turned his head towards the blonde girl who had a tiny smile on her face. It was as if she was trying to tell Shuichi through that smile that it's okay and that she doesn't mind talking to Rantaro.

Shuichi nodded then turned back to Rantaro, "I'll be standing right outside the entrance, don't think of doing anything Rantaro." He shot him one last glance and made his way towards the entrance.

Rantaro focus was now only on Kaede.

"Have you come to harass me again?" Kaede asked, nervously.

"No." He answered shaking his head.

"Okay, have you come to forcefully kiss me without my consent?"

"No. Listen Kaede," he took her hands and stared into her eyes. "Kaede listen, I was stupid-"

"You sure were" Kaede interrupted.

"I don't know what came over me that day, I never wanted to hurt you.."

"But you did," Kaede once again interrupted.

Rantaro sighed. "Kaede listen, the thought of that day haunts me because you mean so much to me. You are the only person I care about Kaede. Ever since I met you, the only persons opinion that mattered to me was yours, I couldn't care less about what others thought of me. If you thought highly of me that would make my shitty day turn into a day with rainbows and sunshine. But just that thought of you fearing me, of you labeling me as an ass has been slowly killing me inside."

Rantaro paused and Kaede stayed silent.

He continued, "I never meant to hurt you Kaede. I never wanted to hurt you Kaede, but hearing you reject me... for someone else.. I just didn't want to loose you... I couldn't loose you to him.. So please Kaede, I know I was an idiot but please accept my apology."

They stared at each other in silence for a while. Kaede was at a lost for words. Once she was finally able to process his apology, she began to speak.

"Rantaro..."

"Yes?"  He replied with a soft tone with a hint of sadness.

She continued, "It'll take me a while to... forgive you.. you understand right?"

Rantaro stared at her, he was on the verge of tears but just kept a neutral expression as he slowly nodded.

"I hope one day... I can fully forgive you Rantaro, you meant a lot to me too you know? And the way you acted wasn't like.. the Rantaro I loved" a tear streamed down her face. She quickly whipped them trying to prevent more tears from falling down but it was no use.

Rantaro stared to the ground, he felt as though he was stabbed not once but about thirty times in the heart. He had messed up and now there was no redeeming himself.

Kaede slowly walked away from him and towards the backstage door and he couldn't do anything about it.

She was about to open the door when she stopped in her tracks. She opened her mouth but no words came out. She needed to collect her thoughts and once she did, the words that came out of her mouth were, "Goodbye Rantaro, I hope the next time we speak, I would've forgiven you and we would be on good terms. But it's a unlikely that it'll happen so quickly so till then, goodbye."

And with that she existed the room and into Shuichi's arms. Shuichi was confused but comforted her right away when he saw the sad expression on her face. He didn't ask what happened, he didn't want to force her so he just stood there silently hugging her.

Once Kaede finished crying, she looked up into Shuichi's eyes and hugged him tighter, "Thank you again Shuichi."

He couldn't help but blush and still stood there silently.

"Let's go meet up with Maki and Kaito," Kaede suggested.

Shuichi nodded and smiled. "Sure thing Kaede."

They silently left the auditorium as Rantaro observed them from afar. He knew she wouldn't have accepted his apology, but at least he had done it. As he cried, a half smile formed and he thought, "Never will I ever hurt you again, Kaede."

To be continued....