Chapter 28: Spring Festival (Part 6)

Shuichi's POV:

We found Kaito and Maki near a yakisoba stand at around 7:30pm. Maki was the first to notice us, or should I say Kaede and she ran straight towards her.

"Kaede? Were you crying? Did Shuichi do something?" She glared at me, as if she was trying to kill me with her eyes. It was working, I could feel my legs trembling as I stared back.

"Huh? Oh, I was just crying because the show went well, these are happy tears Maki!" She smiled but it wasn't her normal cheerful smile, it was a fake forced one. I knew Kaede was lying but I didn't say anything, it was clear she didn't want Maki to worry.

Maki fell for her smile and softly smiled back. "Your performance was amazing, Kaede. You should be happy about it."

All the times I've talked with Maki, she always had a neutral or annoyed expression, so throughout this entire festival it was surprising to see how many smiles she could form on her face. I guess I learnt a new side to Maki through this event.

Kaito had finally noticed us and with his yakisoba in hand he went up to Kaede and started complimenting her performance.

"Kaede! The way you were playing was amazing! It blew my mind!"

Kaede giggled then answered, "Thanks you guys."

A half smile formed on my face. Kaede really was amazing, not like I had doubted her skill. I knew she was good at piano, I mean why else would she have the title ultimate pianist? But the way she played was so much better then how I imagined she would play.

Kaito nudged me, roughly. Once I turned my attention towards him he pointed to the bouquet in Kaedes hand. "Real smooth with the flowers Shuichi," he whispered.

I crossed my arms and leaned a little to Kaito's side as I observed Maki and Kaede who were talking.

"You think she knows the meaning?" I whispered back.

Kaito put his hand on my shoulder and whispered, "Shuichi, everyone knows the meaning of those flowers."

I went red and tried to pull down my cap- and remembered I wasn't wearing it. Kaito noticed and laughed which caught the girls attention, they looked at us with confused expressions. Kaito then grabbed my shoulder and glanced at my watch.

"Would you look at that! It's already 7:40. Hey when are the fireworks again?" He asked scratching his chin.

"At 9pm" I answered. The fireworks have been on the back of my mind this entire day, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to confess to Kaede without breaking down into a pile of nerves.

Kaede suddenly started making a "hmm" noise as if she was trying to think of something.

"Is something wrong Kaede?" I asked.

"Well since 9pm is still very far, how about we go to the maid cafe! The one being organized by classroom 78."

That was a great idea because it would allow us to get to the roof in a shorter amount of time. But to be honest, that place is just traumatic to me after what happened.

"Maybe we should go to-"

I was interrupted by a hungry Kaito, "Do they have food?" He asked excitedly.

"Yeah! All kinds of yummy deserts and drinks. we should definitely go before the fireworks!"

"Then we should definitely go!"