L.O.D.R.S.V.P. Part 4

Veronica's POV:

Harley: "Saving a Legion of Doom from a member of the Justice League? I mean even if it was Aquaman, ugh, that is getting us in!"

Me: "I hope so!"

Ivy: "Wait, seriously?"

Me: "Yes! Look, Ivy, I know how you feel about these guys, but after tonight, I realized it's all worth it to get some legitimate action! Plus, there's something about which I haven't been honest."

Harley: "Ooh, you and Riddler?"

Me: "If everything tonight goes well."

Harley high fives me while Ivy frowns.

Ivy: "Look, even if you don't get in, that doesn't mean things between you and Riddler can't still happen. I mean, it's still cool to be nominated, right?"

Me: *chuckles nervously* "Ivy, what are you doing?"

Harley: "Yeah, no. I would do a header out that window and let my brains smash all over the sidewalk."

Me: "Even if it meant missing out on hearing my recollection of my first date with Riddler?"

Harley: "Damn it, you're good."

As Clayface and King Shark approach us, I catch Lex leading Ivy a few feet away for a private conversation.

{Time skip}

Lex stands before everyone behind a podium to announce the legion's new members.

Lex: "We all know why we're here. And I'm happy to say the Legion has voted, and we have two new members."

I gasp with a smile, glancing at Riddler as he smiles warmly at me. Before the announcement is made, Ivy pulls us over.

Ivy: "Harley, Ronnie, join me. Just fuck these guys."

Harley: "Ive, what are you talking about?"

Lex: "This year was a fine crop, but two people stood above the rest."

Ivy: "Just you and me. Like, we'll start our own thing. It'll be Mayhem, Harley & Ivy. You know, we'll get those matching flame-retardant jumpsuits you've always wanted."

Harley: "You mean, the one where yours says, 'Yaass', and mine says, 'Queen'?"

Ivy: "Yaass. Yaass."

Harley: "No, no, no, no. Come on. You told me to leave the Joker for this, and Ronnie has a chance at a successful relationship. Well, now we're here, and that's gonna damn well happen."

Ivy: "Harley, listen to me!"

Lex: "These people are absolute machines."

Ivy: "They don't want you, ok? They never wanted either of you. They were just using you to get to me."

Lex: "And I'd like to welcome our newest members, Harley Quinn & Miss Mayhem."

King Shark: "Harley, Ronnie, you did it!"

Clayface: "Congratulations, ladies!"

Everyone applauds us as Harley turns to Ivy.

Harley: "Hey, thanks for believing in us."

Ivy: "No, I was just trying to protect you."

I go to follow Harley onstage, but Ivy grabs me by the arm.

Ivy: "Nica, you were there. You heard what he said."

Me: "Well, he was bluffing, surprising no one but you."

Ivy: "Ronnie, please. Don't let pointless feelings blind you the way they did for Harley. It's not worth it. Deep down, I know you know that."

I yank my arm out of her grip, tears forming in my eyes.

Me: "Y'know, I could say the same thing for you and Kite-Man, but I don't because I know that it's not pointless for you. It's sweet, refreshing, and worth having someone genuinely feel that way about you after being in someone else's shadow. For you, it was your parents, and for me, it was Harley. So, yeah, it is worth it. But thanks for the pep talk."

I walk to the stage, wiping the tears away from my eyes as discreetly as possible, bowing my head forward for Lex to place the medal around my neck.

Lex: "Ladies, welcome to the Legion of Doom."

Harley and I smile as we link arms and turn to the crowd with a simultaneous wave. After we walk offstage, I nod to Riddler to send Harley a message. She nods, whispering a 'good luck' in my ear, before walking off with the others. I walk over to Riddler with a proud smile.

Riddler: "So, who's out of luck?"

Me: "I was wrong, and you were right. So, as agreed, I'll do it."

Riddler: "Do what, exactly?"

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms at his nonchalance.

Me: "I'll go on a date with you. Anytime, anyplace."

Riddler: "Then perhaps, Martha's Bruce Steakhouse? Tomorrow night, 7 o'clock sharp?"

Me: "It's a date."

End of Episode 8