New Gotham: Part 1

Veronica's POV:

It's been three weeks since I was placed back into reality. Joker died, Ivy was revived, and Gotham was destroyed and declared no longer part of the US. Harley couldn't be more excited while simultaneously concerned about me. All the same, she's been incredibly patient and understanding during our therapy sessions. I wouldn't say I'm fully 'recovered', but I've gotten a little better at grounding myself when I think things aren't what they seem. Plus, unlike her and everyone else, I haven't left the mall since we escaped Joker.

Therefore, Harley advised that I only be left alone once she and I agree that I'm ready to get back out there with her. It's ok because if Harley can't stay with me, Ivy, Shark, Clayface, & Sy all keep an eye out for me until the others return from whatever. Psycho's not quite there yet, but we can stay in the same room without causing an even bigger mess than the one outside.

Just now, Harley's gotten back from her latest heist with a sushi chef.

Psycho: "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! The hyenas get steak and we gotta eat this guy? Are we living in a mall or a zoo?"

King Shark pets an alpaca with a smile.

King Shark: " I like to think of it as both now."

Harley: "No, we're not eating him. This is Takashi, a sushi chef. He's got a Michelin star!"

King Shark: "I gotta admit, I was excited to eat a person, but especially since I already had sushi, but I guess it's fine."

King Shark leads Akashi into our kitchen while Clayface talks his ear off.

Clayface: "Takashi, would it be gauche to ask for a spider roll, or are you strictly omakase?"

Harley: "How's my favorite patient?"

Me: "I'm doing great. Today, there have been no panic attacks, no apparent levels of stress, and no need to use the meds you prescribed last week."

Harley turns to Ivy, who nods in confirmation before Harley pulls me into a side hug.

Harley: "So fucking proud of you! Ive, are you not jazzed about Ronnie's progress and sushi?"

Ivy: "Hey, I couldn't be any happier that Ronnie's getting better, and I like Takashi's hand rolls as much as the next gal. But don't you think it's time to kinda, like, wrap this party up? I mean, it's been three weeks since you took down Joker. There's no Legion of Doom. No Batman. Gotham is yours for the taking."

Harley: "I am having a blast! This is what I've always wanted, Ive. Anarchy and sushi!"

Harley blasts an airhorn as Ivy and I cover our ears from being so close to the noise.

Ivy: "Yeah, I mean, you definitely could've had better sushi when Gotham had refrigeration and free trade with the rest of America, but-"

Clayface: *coughs* "Is this a bird?"

Ivy: "Trust me, you're gonna be kicking yourself if you don't take charge."

Harley: "Ive, the best part of living in an apocalyptic wasteland is no one's in charge."

Sy: "It's chaos, baby! It's like 'Nam after the US pulled out."

Harley: "I don't think it's exactly that. But it is pretty awesome."

Then, two of Penguin's goons enter the mall.