Land of Shadows

The sound of a rumble echoed through the night sky in the desert followed by a bolt of energy from the Porte Di lux falling on the desert sands raised a curtain of sand.

KABOOOMMM!

The four of them wore a black cloak and black clothes so as not to attract attention, Kreist put on his hood "According to the map, there's a town miles away." Nito nodded as Ritsu felt his power grow stronger "..."

Nito approached "It must be that your powers have gotten stronger." The black haired boy looked down at his hands "You said that an Archon becomes stronger if he's in his territory." The blond nodded "That's right, and it looks like that's happening to you."

Leon looked around "We should get moving, we don't know what awaits us in the desert." They all agreed as they set off to walk through the vast desert.

The night was at its peak but there was no moon, only the stars shining across the sky. They all kept moving forward until dawn.

They all saw a village just as Kreist said and as they got closer they noticed something frightening. Most of the people were dehydrated, they had no food or water. Not only elves, humans he could even notice some like people with hyena ears and tails.

Ritsu felt a pang of pain in his heart. He couldn't believe his eyes what is seeing here. "..." They all kept walking through the village until they saw a couple of soldiers harassing a family with hyena ears and tails.

"I told you to give it."

The mother looked on in pain with her two children "Please? We only have that for a piece of bread. If they do... My children will have nothing to eat..." The woman had tears of despair but the soldier looked at him unsympathetically. "Then they will die for the glory of their Archon." After that the soldiers walked away leaving the poor woman crying.

Nito could see that they were two boys, one 7 years old and the other 12 years old. Both had brown hair. Before they could do anything the youngest fell to the ground surprising them.

The mother looked terrified "My little boy..." She carried her while the minor looked tired and weak "I can't feel my body." Nito and the rest quickly approached. Ritsu checked "It's serious..."

The woman looked full of pain or "He hasn't eaten anything.... In four days." That left Ritsu and the others in shock. Why a child had to go through something like that?

At that moment they heard something burning watching those armoured soldiers set fire to a house while she carefully put down her little one and ran to them "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!"

The soldier spoke seriously "For resistance of delivering monthly earnings for our Archon, your house must be destroyed as punishment."

"Please don't do this." She pleaded but the soldier pushed her away falling backwards mercilessly.