Chapter 10

Salem and Ashaw adjusted the mast as Cherry held the boat steady. They had been sailing since the first light of day. The sun was just now beating down on them with vigor.

"Berk is in sight," Cherry called, sweat dripping from her brow.

Salem and Ashaw looked up and found the small island coming into sight. Ashaw sighed in relief.

"Thank the gods. This boat is so slow!" Ashaw moaned, wiping away the sweat with his sleeve. "I'm having a talk with our mother and refuges about this no dragon thing."

Salem glanced at his brother, but held his tounge. He'd rather hope for the best than the worst, but Salem also knew expecting the worst lead to less hurt. As they neared the docks, they found boats getting ready to set sail. The three shared a look before docking. Leaving their boat, the vikings only spared looks, passed the supplies to them and continued.

"Uh, what is going on?" Cherry asked setting the weapons on on of Berks ships.

"Don't know," Salem muttered. "Let's find Stoick."

Ashaw gave him a look, but didn't argue. As the trio walked along the dock, apologizing for every bump and disturbance they caused, they found a nightufury being chained and lowered to a boat. Salem quickened his pace hearing a familiar voice.

"Set sail! We head for Helheim's Gate."

They had finally came across the chief. Salem sighed, joyed to see his long time friend.

"Stoick! Stoick!" Salem called threw the crowd.

Stoick turned finding a familiar face. Shock ran threw his features.

"Sal..?"

Salem trotted up, paused seeing the nightfury, and choice his next words carefully.

"It's been awhile old friend," Salem greeted stepping near the boat. "Might I ask what it is your doing?"

Stoick stood in shock. His face had went a few shades lighter.

"I thought you dead."

Salem gave a sad chuckled as Ashaw narrowed his eyes. Cherry only stood by watching the ships armed getting ready to leave. She felt unsettled, but kept in mind that these vikings weren't raised around dragons in the same light as they were. Cherry was actually surprised that Ashaw hadn't released the nightfury on sight.

"Yes, it'll take more than wars flames to kill me. However, that doesn't answer my question," Salem spoke, voice turning serious.

Stoick shook his head, eyes catching sight of Hiccup watching from the cliff-side perch just beyond the village. When Salem noticed Stoicks gaze else where, full of hurt and regret, he turned his gaze too. Salem turned to find Stoick's gaze on a thin framed kid who slowly shook his head. Stoick broke the stare and turned back to Salem. Salem turned back to Stoick more confused than ever.

"Going to the dragons nest. If you would await here until I return, I would like to catch up," Stoick muttered before turning away.

Salem sighed as the ships set off. The three watched the ships sail away, conflited and confused on what to do. Even though Salem desperately wanted to help the dragons and Stoick, but he knew he couldn't.

"Okay. To the village," Salem muttered. "I'm sure someone can give us answers."

Cherry noticed Salem held a neutral look, but his eyes spoke in volumes. He was upset.

"Let's hope so," Cherry whispered, knowing she couldn't do much to ease the situation.

"But what about the dragons?" Ashaw asked, concern and irritation in his tone. "They'll be slaughtered."