Chapter 17

"Toothless! Come on down, bud! I got something for ya!" Hiccup grinned up at Toothless, who was previously jumping on his roof.

Y/n yawned and waved to Toothless, causing the dragon to smile. Jumping down Toothless approached the pair, noticing the tail fin Hiccup had. Giving it a sniff, Toothless cooed in curiosity.

"What do you think of that? Yeah!" Hiccup spoke to Toothless, excited himself.

Y/n could only watch with amusement. Toothless playfully turning around, joy pouring from him. Y/n chuckled as Hiccup tried to settle Toothless.

"Would you just settle down! Toothless! Come on, bud! Let me get that on you!" Hiccup waited for Toothless to settle before going to put on the fin. "Yeah! You are going to love this. Okay."

Hiccup stepped back so Toothless could try his new tail. Just as Hiccup stepped back next to Y/n, Toothless started lashing his tail and bouncing, trying to remove it. Y/n quickly when to try and clam Toothless with Hiccup. She didn't want at the hard work Hiccup did to go to waste, nor have her friend get hurt trying to calm Toothless.

"Hey, hey, ease bud! It's okay," Y/n called out to him. "Toothless, it's okay!"

When Hiccups slightly panicking voice sounded, had Y/n wished more desperately for Toothless to stop. She didn't want him breaking the tail Hiccup worked so hard on.

"Nonono... To-Toothless! Stop! Please, wait! Toothless, please!" Hiccup pleaded unable to get close.

It took only a second later for Toothless to pause, seeing the tail fin had expanded on its own. As Toothless started calming down, both vikings relaxed.

"Ah... Here you go. See? Got it?" Hiccup asked, relief in his gaze.

Y/n smiled to Hiccup and then Toothless. Y/n smile faltered at Toothless's dilated eyes. Starting at Yn and Hiccup, Toothless turned to his tail fin. Something seem to have struck in the dragon as he turned back to the viking pair.

"Toothless...," Hiccup went to reach out, but was cut short. "Whoa!"

Toothless blasted off into the skys, flying away from Berk, and his best friends. And all Hiccup could do was stare. Y/n blinked, disbelief in her gaze.

"Hiccup? You okay?" Y/n asked slowly turning to him. 

"I.. I don't know. I didn't think he would just...," Hiccup trailed off.

Y/n stared at the sky briefly before turning back to Hiccup. Carefully, Y/n took his hand into hers.

"I'm sure he'll come back Hiccup. Toothless wouldn't just leave like that without cause," Y/n reasoned, voice holding confidence. "He cares about you too much."

Hiccup sighed. Glancing over, he found Y/n offering a kind smile. One he couldn't help but try and match. He gently squeeze her hand.

"Thanks Y/n. I'm sure you're right," Hiccup breathed. "He'll come back."

It had been three days and Y/n and Hiccup waited patiently for Toothless to return, but there wasn't any sign of him. Unfortunately for Hiccup, Ashaw had both Y/n and Liu stay at the house for some kind of holiday tradition. Unknowing to Hiccup, Y/n was pretty upset by this as well. Liu not affairing much better.

"So why are we placing a small stuffed humanoid thing on the fireplace?" Y/n asked, clearly bored.

"It's a Valkyrie," Ashaw started. "Meant to gaurd and protect the home from the evil that lurks. It was an idea our grandfather started, because on one Snoggletog night, several smoke breathing dragons broke into everyone's huts. It took all the metal and gifts we had received that morning. So, our Grandfather had our weavers make these Valkyrie dolls stuffed with eel skin. We never had a problem with those dragons since."