Chapter 16

Snoggletog was closer than ever now. The vikings were setting up for the holiday as the youth bounded and played with the dragons. Y/n sighed and walked around the village with D/n at her side. Cherry expressed she was going to visit Salem and come back Snoggletog night. It was great the first few days of setting up. Astrid and Stormfly aidding in decorating the wooden tree with shields.

Ashaw had told both Y/n and Liu they used a live pine tree in their square. Y/n half listened to their Snoggletog traditions as she watched Astrid and Stormfly working together. D/n nudged Y/n gently to hear Liu asking a question.

"Why though? Gifts addressed to people but no name or note to say who it's from?" Liu rubbed his head. "I don't understand."

"Well, it's the thought that counts. Also it was something we had started doing a long before we befriend the dragons," Ashaw started. "Chief Tomahawk, our great-great-grandfather, had gotten everything set up and ready, but a dragon attack resulted in many of the gifts missing. So he gathered the council and had them gather what was left of the gifts. With consideration of who got what, the gifts were divided evenly for the youth. Each had a name with the of the children in the village. That Snoggletog, all the children got a gift from who they believed was Odin and his family that had bestowed the gifts. Ever since, we had continued to so. On occasion the elders and warriors had gotten gifts as well."

Liu nodded his head as Moonstone sniffed the air. D/n followed suit and rumbled. Y/n and Liu noticed.

"You two okay?"

Ashaw looked to the dragons and then to the sky. A large flock of dragons came flying over. One by one, Berk's dragons took to the sky to follow. D/n watched the dragons before turning to Y/n. Y/n blinked as D/n nudged her before taking off. Moonstone nuzzled Liu before darting after her son.

"Hey, wait!" Y/n trotted a few feet after, Liu behind her. "Where are they going?"

Ashaw walked over, hands resting behind his head.

"I wouldn't worry. They'll be back," Ashaw assured.

"How do you know?" Liu asked, eyes narrowed.

"It's a yearly thing amongst dragons. Hatching season," Ashaw smiled watching the dragons. "Best they don't lay eggs here. They tend to explode."

Y/n and Liu shared a look before watching the dragons leave. Several vikings watched, unknowing of what was happening. Y/n noticed Hiccup landing and Stoick questioning him. When they went to the Great Hall for a meeting, Ashaw had stayed behind to explain what was going on. Y/n and Liu stayed in the great, waiting for Ashaw. Apparently he had something he wanted to do with them tonight.

°•○●□■□●○•°

"Yaknog! Get your Yaknog! Come on! Get a frothy delicious cup of cheer!"

Y/n and Ashaw lifted their head to find Astrid walking outside with a tray full of a chunky looking beverage. They watched Astrid approaching her friends. They noticed Liu stiffen.

"Oh this won't go well.." Ashaw muttered.

"Hey, you guys! Try this tasty new beverage I made for the holidays," Astrid spoke proudly, grin on her face.

"Ugh! What's that smell? Is that you?" Tuffnut asked as he shoved his sister.

"It's Yaknog!" Astrid grin unfaltering.

Y/n noticed Liu's eyes shown caution and nervousness. Ashaw watched with interest as he had just finished adding the cinnamon on top of the drinks he was preparing. Ashaw had tried to warn Liu to stay back and help, but apparently Liu had something a little more important to do. Ashaw figured he'd make a mental note to make for for the poor souls outsides. For all but Liu who ditched.