Chapter 14

It had been a week since Hiccup woke up, and he noticed Y/n was spending a lot of time with the strangers who came claiming to be her brothers. Not that it bothered him too much. He was spending a lot of time with Astrid and his new friends. Liu had joined them every now and again before seeing Y/n and her brothers. Something about learning more about their culture and where they were from.

So, Hiccup decided to investigate on this. His new friends decided to go with, to see what all the fuss was about. So early on a brisk morning, Hiccup and his friends had found Y/n and Liu with Salem, Ashaw, and Cherry in the square. Stoick, Gobber, and Gothi with them.

"What's going on?" Hiccup questioned cautionly.

"Salem is going across seas. Back to his people. Ashaw and Cherry will be staying here to discuss trades and treaty for an alliance," Stoick beamed.

Hiccup looked over at Y/n to find her leaning more towards the feathered dragon next to her. Liu pressed close to his own as well.

"I'll be back after Snoggletog," Salem grinned.

Mounting his dragon, Salem flew off. Ashaw and Cherry waved their farewells before turning back to Stoick.

"Maybe we discuss this somewhere more private?" Cherry suggested. "Y/n, why don't you and Liu take the day off."

Day off? Hiccup thought. Hiccups group gave each other a look.

"Will do," Liu smiled.

As Hiccup and his friends Cherry and Ashaw leave with Stoick, Gobber, and Gothi, he turned back to Liu questioningly.

"Day off?"

Liu chuckled as Y/n seemed a bit more reserved.

"Yeah. We've been helping them understand Berk's culture a little more. Aidding the vikings with living with dragons," Liu shrugged. "Aside from learning more about them and their culture, we've been helping Berk adjust. Actually they had been doing it the day after the Red Death."

"Then the training and the teaching of running a village. What a good leader needs, basic survival skills, and combat training," Y/n added.

Hiccup noticed the sarcastic tone, but he also noticed she seemed distressed. Then a thought struck him. It seemed Astrid had a similar idea.

"Why would you need to know that?"

Hiccup and Liu noticed her defensive tone. Y/n caught and nearly snapped. Instead, Y/n took a breath, her eyes still cold.

"Turns out my father was chief, and incase of anything happening to Salem and Ashaw, they want me ready to take over," Y/n answered. "This is all amusing Cherry doesn't produce a successor beforehand."

Liu nudged her. Y/n gave him and look as Liu offered a kind smile.

"It's not that bad," Liu soothed. "It's just in case something happens."

Y/n huffed and waved him off as she walked away.

"Then you take the weight of leading."

Liu took a breath as watched her leave with D/n. She's been closed up around him recently and Liu knew something was wrong. Her telling him to take the weight, Liu had figured that the idea of ruling was bothering her. Or he would've if Y/n hadn't been acting on edge until today. Something else was up.

"Hey, Hiccup. Could you make sure she's okay?" Liu asked.

Hiccup didn't need to be asked twice as he flew after her. Astrid watched him leave, eyes solemn. Liu took noticed and sighed quitely before putting on a smile. He'd cheer her up and insure the others have involvement.