Chapter 12

Y/n sat up at the sight if Gobber and went to speak, but he had quickly retrieved Gothi and left. Cherry, who sat on Y/n's bed, pausing in her braiding of Y/n's hair.

"Stay here. I'll see what's going on," Cherry instructed.

"But..," Y/n didn't get to finish.

"Stay."

Y/n sighed and did so. The town was bustling loudly. Y/n knew something happened. Something bad. The sound of dragons caught her attention. Just before she could slip out of bed, Cherry returned with Astrid behind her.

"What happened?" Y/n asked.

Astrid didn't even spare her a glance, too panicked to get what was needed. Cherry placed a hand on the girls shoulder to calm her.

"Kid you need to take a breath," Cherry scolded before turning to Y/n.

Before Cherry could answer Y/n's questions, Astrid had snapped.

"How can I do that when Hiccup needs medical attention?" Astrid hissed. "He's lost his leg for Thor's sake!"

Y/n's eyes grew as she leapt to her feet. She had expertly grabbing the needed supplies for missing limps and things need for cleaning and dressing wounds. Cherry went to grab Y/n's arm, but just grazed it. Astrid had noticed Y/n grabbing the supplies and turned to follow her out. Cherry cursed to herself and followed after.

Y/n allowed for no disagreement as she helped in aiding Hiccup. Gothi left no room for argument either. It was more to do with Y/n needing to know what to do when her time came to be Berk's healer. When Y/n caught sight of Liu, she and Cherry had pulled him aside to clean and dress his room. It was hours before Y/n, Gothi, and Cherry had closed and cleaned the wounds both Hiccup and Liu substanced.

By the time Y/n was done she had sat, the pain in her side aching. Cherry went to tell everyone the news. Gothi paid the red head no mind. Gothi was too preoccupied with Y/n's pained expression. Gothi stared at her momentarily before using a piece of coal and paper to tell her to rest.

Y/n stared blankly at the parchment and sighed. She stood, sparing Hiccup one last look. Others will want to see him. Astrid especially. Y/n turned and walked up the stairs. Liu was staying in her room for the next few days so she could easily care for both of them while Gothi could tend to her own needs and duties.

Finding Liu resting, face finally peaceful after the pain of the burns he received, Y/n had smiled. She yawned and moved to the small bundle of spare pillows and blankets that she converted into a mini bed. Y/n had laid in the far corner to get some rest.

When morning came, Y/n found Liu still resting. Opting to let him continue his rest, she headed downstairs to Hiccup. Gothi had informed everyone he may not wake immediately. That it'll be a while. Y/n let out a breath and found Stoick sitting by Hiccup's bedside.

Slowly, she turned to the kitchen. Filling a cup of water, she walked over to offer the cup. Stoick turned and gave a grateful smile. Y/n returned the smile and sat next to him.

"He'll be okay. He's stronger than most," Y/n smiled.

"The strongest of them all," Stoick corrected, regret burning in his eyes.

Y/n placed a hand on his arm.

"I never should have doubted," Stoick muttered. "It could have been avoided if I had just listened."

Y/n leaned on Stoick's arm. He is the closes thing to a father. No, Stoick is family. Y/n looked up at him, but found no words. Instead, she stood to give him a hug. Stoick returned it, eyes watered, yet no tears where shed.