Chapter 20

Hiccup stared out to the sea, Toothless at his side. Dagur the Deranged had just fled in a hurry after the bluff they had just pulled with their "dragon attack" to save Barf and Belch. He would have included it into his letter, but he had already sent it. Hiccup was somewhat happy Y/n wasn't here for that, but dispared when Liu wasn't.

If Y/n was here, Hiccup knew Dagur would have tried to either play target practice with her or leave her hanging somewhere as dragon bait so he could kill it. Hiccup recalled Y/n at one point trying to call a dragon out to eat her as a joke, and then proceed to trick Dagur into think there was a dragon nearby.

As of for Liu. Dagur never messed with him. If Hiccup remember correctly, Liu had just stared threatening at him. Liu had dared Dagur to try something, and when Dagur had, he never even glanced at Liu again. Hiccup never found out why, but he wish he knew Liu's secret. Hiccup wondered if it was in the diary.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

Hiccup turned to find Astrid. Toothless instantly greeted her before starting a game with Stormfly.

"Thinking. What if Y/n and Liu never left?" Hiccup wondered aloud. "Like today with Dagur, would they have made a difference?"

"Well, I'm sure if Liu was here, Dagur would have been less enthusiastic," Astrid smirked. "Not sure what he did, but Liu must have done something to strike fear into him."

Hiccup nodded in agreement, a small grin on his face.

"As of for Y/n," Astrid paused glancing to Hiccup. "I know she's your friend, but I feel like she would have gotten in the way."

Hiccup looked back to the sea. Y/n had always had the best intentions, but they seemed to have backfired more on her than anyone else. Like when she jumped on Meatlug's head in an attempt to save him. Or when she jumped on Hookfang. Both times she was injured, even if one was minor.

"She tries and never stops trying," Hiccup grinned. "That's what counts."

Astrid over looked the waters and let his words sink in. There was truth to his words. Y/n never did stop trying. It was one thing she could be commended for.

"Your right. I see why you like her," Astrid whispered. "She doesn't give up or stop. No matter how tough it was."

Hiccup's face went red. Astrid smiled and shook her head and offered her hand to help him up.

"I want to show you something. It was something I found in Liu's dairy," Astrid smiled.

Hiccup's eyes grew as he took her hand.

"And I think it'll interest you," Astrid grinned as Hiccup got to his feet.

Hiccup's grinned as her followed after. Stormfly and Toothless pouncing after their riders with enthusiasm. As they made it back to Astrid's hut, Astrid opened the journal to show Hiccup what she found. She felt pride at his expression knowing she found something that had interested as much as herself.

Hiccup was awestruck. On the parchment was blueprints and plans on weaponry, shields, and defenses they would have been well against ships or an armada. It would have been useful against Dagur if he ever came back. But what was really eye catching to Hiccup was the versatility of the weapons and shield.

"He's really thought of everything," Hiccup muttered. "If we run them by my dad and Gobber, I'm sure we could have these made and set up."

Astrid nodded in agreement. There was only one thought in her head though.

"Hiccup? Why do you think Liu didn't share these with us?"

Hiccup stared at the blue prints again. He didn't have an answer for that.