Chapter 26

Hiccup stared at the vast sea atop of Toothless's back. It had been over a month. He hadn't received a letter from Y/n yet, and he grew worried. Everyone was worried. Gothi, Gobber, and Stoick had stood beside Hiccup, hoping she was ok.

"Go find her," Stoick's voice sounded from behind him. "Take your friends with you, just in case."

Hiccup turned and started at his father. Slowly Hiccup turned back, watching the water shift and ripple with every crash against the rocks. Slowly, Hiccup mounted Toothless and clicked Toothless's tail. When they took off, Stoick, Gobber, and Gothi had embraced to try and ease the worry that flooded them.

Circle Berk, Hiccup found his friends in the area. Hiccup didn't dismount. He didn't need to. The look on his face told them enough.

"Come on."

They all glanced to each other and understood. They didn't need to be asked or told where they were going. Astrid had expressed her worry when she didn't get her letters from Liu. Everyone already knew something was wrong. Mounting up, they all headed to Feather Wing Island. It was a two day journey, but with Atlas's help, they had found it easily enough.

When they landed in the mouth of the cave, the only thing left was rumbled, scorch marks threwout the cave, and a singular body slowly decaying, head decapitated. Hiccup was stunned as Astrid and Snoutlout were the first to check the body. They looked to each other, worry clouding their eyes. They didn't recognize this body.

Hiccup slowly left Toothless's and spared the body a glance. He felt sick. Looking around to the destroyed village that once sat in the cave, Hiccup felt his breathing grow heavy. He took only a few steps past Astrid and Snoutlout before collapsing. Before Astrid could check on him, Hiccup let out a blood curling scream holding nothing back as his pain and agony ripped threw him.

It was enough for everyone to flinch back as Hiccup screams reverberated around them. The air seemed to have vibrated around them as Hiccup's body slowly crumpled. Pounding his fist against the stone, Hiccup yelled as the reality and realization that Y/n wasn't here became a reality. That she was gone. Hiccup could only scream louder, wishing for it to not be true.

Toothless whined and slowly walked over and wrapped Hiccup in his wing. Hiccup shuttered as he slowly lifted his head to find Toothless gazing worriedily at him. Hiccup heaved in a breath as he turned his gaze back to the stone floor. He didn't want to look up. He didn't want to see this. He didn't want to believe it.

"Hiccup?" Astrid's voice was quiet. "We should check the rest of the cave.. maybe they are still here."

Hiccup took a heavy breath as Atlas walked past him, his dragon trailing after. Hiccup leaned on Toothless as Astrid walked around and crouched in front of him.

"Hiccup?"

"I doubt we'll find any bodies outside of..," Atlas paused glancing past Hiccup and to the body Snoutlout was moving away from. "I don't think we'll find anyone outside of Koby."

"Koby?" The twins repeated questionable as the walked over to the body.

"He was a childhood friend of mine," Atlas turned away, tears brimming his eyes. "Lets just search the cave for any clues. Maybe they escaped."

Hiccup looked to Atlas with a newfound hope. Astrid noticed and slowly stood, helping Hiccup up. Slowly, everyone spread out in search of anything. Any clues to help them find out more, but nothing was found. It was hours as they searched the entire cave, but nothing came up. Not even the dragons found anything.

There was nothing but debris. Beyond all else, there was not a dragon in sight. No scale, no feathers, nor a bone from human or dragon. There was nothing by rubble and scorch marks. Above, old abandon nest. There was nothing that indicated what happened other than a battle. With no bodies, there was no way to confirm if anyone was alive.