20. A Transformation Occurs

It was like a tournament, that was probably the best way to describe the severity of this Ball; the way Hermione was dealing with it. Not only had she dragged Rachel away from the snow, her most favourite thing in the world, two hours early, but she was now practically drawing a time table out. She was saying that they needed to plan their timing out, that was of course if they wanted to be ready on time.

Not wanting to kill her buzz, Rachel sat there and just watched Hermione, occasionally humming in agreement and nodding her head. To be honest, she just wanted to get into her dress and move on to the Ball. But already she could feel some little butterflies in her stomach. She had until 7:30 to be ready before meeting Cedric. It was nerve wracking for her. Never in her life had she done something like this. She couldn't even dance!

"I'm going to take a shower I think." Rachel suddenly spoke up.

Hermione smiled and nodded before walking off to get a book of spells, in which she hoped had some to tame her wild, frizzy hair.

After Rachel had showered and washed away the cold snow from her body and hair, she threw on a pair of sweatpants before putting on her jumper she had gotten off Mrs Weasley the previous year. Hermione then took this opportunity to get in the shower, leaving Rachel to look at her dress with a smile.

The other girls in their dorm had decided to get ready in Fay Dunbar's room - apparently she was going with some Hufflepuff but Rachel didn't know the kid - which was good news for Hermione and Rachel. It meant they could spread all their shoes, dresses, make up and other assorts around the room.

It wasn't long before Hermione came out the shower too, wrapped in a dressing gown and padding over to Rachel who was digging through Hermione's nail polish with a curious look.

"Never used nail polish before?" Hermione asked, rubbing a towel through her hair.

"No, no I haven't. I never knew what it was really. When I was at Beauxbatons I know Kay- Donavon used to have some. The day I asked her to paint my nails was the day I was told to pack my trunk and leave." Rachel admitted picking up a pale pink polish.

"I'll do your nails for you if you want?" Hermione offered ushering Rachel into a chair who nodded happily.

Quickly, Hermione got to work and did what she explained was a French manicure. Rachel assured Hermione that they weren't so much of a craze in France like everyone thought. But none the less Rachel's nails looked really pretty which pleased her.

"Until those dry, don't move at all." Hermione said seriously putting the polishes away.

"Uh... okay." Rachel said with a nod.

"While they're drying we'll do your makeup." Hermione rummaged through Rachel's and her makeup bags.

They discussed what Rachel wanted and did little experiments before they were happy with what they wanted.

"How come you're doing it now and not when I'm in my dress." Rachel said quietly, her eyes closed as Hermione worked with some eye shadow.

"Because," Hermione stopped and moved to the next eye. "What if whilst I'm doing this I get makeup on your dress?"

Rachel mumbled a reply while Hermione continued happily. Despite the fact Hermione did not do things like this often, mainly because she had no one to do it with, she was actually very good at it. Maybe it was just logical what two eyeshadows go together to create the perfect smokey eyes, but Hermione was great at it.

Finally it was Hermione's turn, Rachel whisked through it as quick as she could so she could work on Hermione's bush of a hair. She used a charm to make her hair straight - it took several times and it ended up smelling of burnt hair - and it made Hermione look so much older than her curls. Carefully sticking and pinning, Rachel twisted Hermione's hair into a bun with small curls falling down the side.