chapter 91

A month has come by and it's time for the court meeting. They both stood before the judge and made their vows. 

Neither looked in the best condition, Clarice's light brown hair was in a messy down ponytail. Her complexion was very pale with dark circles around her eyes and she had lost substantial weight, her looks were close to that of a corpse. 

James was somewhat better at not losing much weight but the clear lack of sleep and tiredness was visible with a pale sickly complexion, both of them looked so tired and done with everything.

The proceedings began and the browns lawyer seemed to be the only one cared about as Clarice the whole time didn't reflect any emotions or intent to fight back. 

It was as if her heart went numb to everything, leaving no space for objections. The Blakesley lawyer then went to Clarice.

"Ms. Blakesley it is said by Mr. Blakesley that you were in a 3 year affair with another man is that true or false" the lawyer looked at her ready to prepare the papers

"True, I had a 3 year affair with my ex lover" 

The lawyer was taken aback the browns were rumored to be a tough opponent and never lost, but this seemed easy enough.

"And did you or did you not, had given to his child that you put under his name?" 

Clarice looked at the lawyer, and it was there he realized something he hasn't seen in a long time. He has dealt with many but it was these types were rarest l 

"....... I did" 

The crowd were already whispering and now it got louder, Claude clenched his fist on his legs angrily glaring at Clarice. Who remains unhinged and unmoving. She was like a mannequin, like a robot on auto pilot.

The lawyer bit his bottom lip, "that is all"

The lawyer walked back his part where they bickered on some more until James turned.

"Mr. Blakesley why now of the 6 to 7 years you were married decided to get a divorce, you discovered Ms. Blakesley's infidelity about 3 years ago you had that opportunity then" 

"It's quite simple really, it's a brown rule. Psychological blackmail, would you hurry to divorce if your wife looked into your eyes and told you that this will not be just your downfall, but me, you and your entire family's downfall. Now tell me would you not think twice before you divorce?" James asked 

"But Mr. Blakesley did not ever cross your mind she may be bluffing. As a sign to keep the marriage?" 

"Even if bluffing it's still psychological blackmail, bluffing or not" 

"So you never thought of it as her bluffing?" 

"If a killer walks up to you with an empty gun and puts it at your forehead and says, let's go over there if you don't I'll kill you. Would you think about, if he's bluffing or if the gun was empty? The point is my wife said something her family has the power to do so, can I stop them no." 

Lawyer took out another paper and placed it on the desk.

"Mr. Blakesley, it is said your wife tried to unalive herself with wine and heavy dosage of wine specifically antidepressants. And as a result you lost your recently deceased child." 

James in that second just broke down and crumbled on the desk, he tried to hold back the tears. He covered half his face with his palm, he thought he could handle but each time that he was reminded of the baby something inside him just dies each time. He breathed painfully. Then stand back up to refocus.

"Yes" he said barely managing to hold the trembling tone in his voice 

"You deny the baby outright that it was not yours why?" 

"I know there isn't one way a baby can be conceived, after becoming a donor for a LGBT couple who wanted a baby. I still got some sperm left where she claims to want a baby, our relationship was strained so we weren't having sex, our marriage was could we put up this front to fool the browns and behind the scene we hate each other. Most of my days consist of being passed out drunk or me being at home being away from her. I don't know what she is doing most of the time. She said it was Insemination, but living with a liar you tend to have distress and thought everything they said and she I think sometimes doesn't believe herself".

He looked at Clarice who was still unfazed. His parents felt their hearts hurt watching this.

"That is all"

A/n

Planning a sequel. But not with the kids with the two side characters.

Jessie and Sean