27

Eileen woke up the next morning with Demetri at her side. She smiled slightly before moving his arm so she could get up. When his arm didn't budge, Eileen jabbed her finger in his rib cage, causing him to retract his whole body away from her. Eileen smiled and got out of her bed.

She brewed a hot cup of decaffeinated tea and went to her porch step to see a car staying still in the middle of the road. Eileen looked curiously at it before it suddenly sped off. She shrugged it off before she saw a text notification. It was Sam, asking her if she wanted to join her, Moon, and Yasmine for brunch.

"Eileen," she heard her mom at the door. She turned to see her mom popping her head out, "Come in for a second?" The girl obliged, going to the island with her mom and setting her cup down. Kelli looked at her with a serious look.

"I just want to make sure you're okay. Are you?" She asked her, eyeing her arms for any bruises.

Eileen put a hand on her shoulder, "I'm okay."

"Did you... See your dad in Mexico?" Kelli questioned her, a troubled look in her eyes. Eileen wanted to say yes, but the look stopped her. She didn't want to make her mom more scared than she was. But her father thought they lived in San Diego, so they would be safe.

"No, no I didn't. I only had little time to look around and uh, Johnny and Robby found Miguel and I before we could look around longer. Never saw him," she told her before handing her the photo. "This is what I was going off of anyway, I was never going to find him with a photo."

She felt horrible for lying but the relief she saw her mom made it slightly worth it.

"Alright, uh, Amanda texted me, and said something about Sam wanting you to go out with her?" Kelli told her, changing the subject.

"Right, need to text her back," Eileen replied, pulling out her phone to see if Sam could pick her up.

"You're going out?" Demetri asked, walking out of her room. Kelli gave her a look, Eileen waved her off.

"Girls' day," Eileen explained to him as Demetri sat on the stool next to her.

"Maybe I should have a girls' day with Eli and Miguel," Demetri spoke up, going to his phone.

Eileen looked at him curiously, "What would you guys do?"

He shrugged, "Probably watch Eli get a new tattoo."

"Sounds fun?" She questioned herself. The boy shrugged before they heard a car honk.
Eileen smiled and kissed Demetri on the cheek before heading out.

Yasmine chuckled as Sam and Eileen sat down across from them, Sam showing them her phone with her texts from Miguel.

"Desperate," Yasmine commented. Eileen sat uncomfortably, not knowing what to do. "But cute. He knows he's in deep shit."

"I just... I feel like things have been off lately," Sam remarked. "There's so much I want to say. Maybe I should just... Lay it all out?"

"Do what you think is best," Eileen admitted to her, Sam smiling at the girl before turning to her phone.

"No!" Yasmine snatched her phone. Eileen jumped at the impact "No, less is more."

"I'm with Yas, it's better to have these conversations in person," Moon agreed.

"Mm-hm. Keep it short, not sweet." Yasmine handed her the phone, showing the text she just typed out.

"I'm okay." Sam read the text out loud. Eileen leaned over to see it, "Should I add a smiley face or something?"

"No!"

"Definitely!"

"Eileen?" Sam asked, wanting her to break the tie. All three girls stared at her. Eileen uncomfortably leaned back in the booth.