A fathers touch

Gil was fast asleep for almost 2 hours until he began toss around in his sleep. Unaware he was having quite a disturbing dream. He could hear vicious growling in his dream, as he began to breathe heavily. Now he was half awake. His consciousness going on and off. He could hear lots of deep growling, and Gil wasn't sure what was making the sounds, or what they wanted.

Meanwhile:

It was around 11:00 pm, Mayor Shelbourne sat in his chair near his fireplace with a book in his hands. He usually went to bed around midnight. He was focused on his book until he heard a faint sound coming from his sons room.

It sounded like some kind of whimpering. As if he were in distress. Although he tried to ignore it as first, it doesn't seem to stop. His eyes bugging out in annoyance, Mayor Shelbourne looked out the hallway of his room.

Gil! Be quiet!!! He shouted. He went back into his room and walked over to the windows. It was still thundering and raining. It didn't seem to want to quit. He looked over at the grandfather clock, which pointed to 11:00 pm. He only had an hour before he would to go to bed too.

He just wanted to sit down and read like he does every night. Then there was that whimpering sound again coming from Gil's room. The mayors hands clenched into fists. His pupils shrunk in his angry eyes.

He was about to shout at his son again, as he clenched his teeth. Then he took a deep breath, as he tried to hold it together. That son of mine...he said to himself in annoyance. He went down the hallway and went downstairs into the mansions kitchen.

He opened the fridge and picked up a whine bottle, and poured himself a glass. He put the whine bottle back in the fridge, and went back upstairs to his room. He sat down again with his book. A glass of whine in his hand.

I just need to relax, he told himself. It was finally quiet. Except the rain and thunder and the wind howling outside.

Meanwhile:

Gil was still having nightmares, he felt as though he was trapped. Like Something was trying to hold him in place. He was trying to fight it. He felt as if something was after him, and getting closer and closer. It was terrifying.

In his dream he saw lots of shadows, although they were very blurry, it was hard to make anything out. He saw lots of dark looking shadowy figures. One suddenly appeared with the scariest face. Suddenly it strikes right at him in the dream.

Gil let out a yelp. He was half awake but having active nightmares. Mayor Shelbourne got up from his chair, set down his book and glass of whine, and made his way to his sons bedroom, wondering why Gil kept making that noise.

Gil's door was cracked open like it usually was at night. Gil! I thought I told you to be quiet! The mayor said in a harsh whisper. Mayor Shelbourne walked a little closer to the bed and looked at his boy.

Oh. He's sleeping. He was about to turn around and leave, but then Gil made that noise again. What is making him make that noise?? The mayor looked around Gil's room but there was nothing in there. He walked to Gil's bed and looked at his boy again. It was dark, but with Gil's nightlight by his bedside he could see his son laying in bed.

As he looked down at his boy trying to figure out the problem, suddenly the mayor saw Gil's eyes began to open, revealing the soft blue in his eyes. Gil? The mayor tried saying his name. His eyes were open so why is he..?

Gil didn't seem to be aware of his surroundings. Or at least slightly aware. As he responded to his fathers voice only by slightly moving his head towards him. He was looking up at the ceiling, but didn't appear to see it. He wasn't seeing although his eyes had opened.

Mayor Shelbourne waved his hand in front of his sons face, but Gil wasn't seeing it. He didn't see his father was right there standing by his bed. The mayor lightly touched his son's face, to find a response. No response. As if he couldn't feel his fathers hand on his face. What the..? That's weird. What is wrong with him? Mayor Shelbourne asked himself. Gil's eyes closed again.

Perhaps he's still asleep. But he's never done that before. He must still be asleep or dreaming. Suddenly Gil began to shiver. He appeared to be cold. Mayor Shelbourne looked down at him confused. The mayor usually doesn't like it when Gil tries to hold his hand or hug him, or touch him ever really.

However, somehow it's different when Gil is sleeping and clueless of what's happening. The mayor wasn't sure why he was even doing this, but he placed his hand on his boys head. He stroked back his ginger hair out of his face. Gil responded to the warm touch of his fathers hand. He did this a few times, and Gil seemed to relax quite a bit.

Somehow that seemed to quiet him down. The mayor pulled up Gil's blankets a little more and tucked him in. If that keeps him quiet for the rest of the night then so be it. The mayor turned towards his sons bedroom door and left it open just a crack. He went back to his own room and went to sleep, wondering what that was all about.