Make room for the wolf

Gil's POV
I went down the hall to check on mayor dad while I waited for Flint to arrive. He was in the living room sitting in his chair by the fireplace, with a newspaper on his lap. I could hear him lightly snoring, I guess he fell asleep. Sometimes he does that in his chair.

Which is probably a good thing because I don't want him to hear the conversation between me and Flint. I went downstairs quietly so I don't wake up mayor dad. I went into the kitchen and heated up some popcorn for me and Flint. I also made some hot chocolate. I love hot chocolate. I carried it all upstairs to my room.

I hear my phone ring that I received a text message. I open it and it was Flint telling me he was outside the gate waiting. I text him back and said okay, I'll open it for you. I went downstairs and quietly opened the big front doors. I brought a remote device that opens and closes the gate, I opened it, Flint walked in then I closed it.

Man it was pouring out tonight. And cold. Flint stepped in the mansion. He was wearing a raincoat over his lab coat. Okay I whispered mayor dad fell asleep so let's go upstairs. Okay, Flint whispered back to me. We made our way upstairs and into my room.

I shut the door gently behind us. Here, I said holding up a mug of hot chocolate. Oh Thankyou Gil. Flint took the mug. It smells good. Yes it does, I replied. Okay so literally like a half hour ago before you got here, I looked at the moon and transformed. I tell Flint. And you said it was only half way? Flint asked.

Yes, I replied. Can you show me? Flint asked. Yes I replied. Come over here to the window. I opened the window, and took a deep breath like I did before. In through the nose, out through the mouth. I was starting to shiver, since it was so cold. I looked up at the night sky, the moon was hidden behind the clouds and it was pouring rain, but as long as it was up there, that's all it takes.

I could feel some wind swirling around me, as my inner wolf began to show, Flint watching me very carefully. My body began to tremble, my chest had puffed out, the muscles in my arms and legs had suddenly gotten bigger, my hands and feet turned into claws, and my teeth sharpened into fangs. The fur grew back on my hands and feet. Flint stood there watching, amazed at what he was witnessing. Some fall leaves were swirling around me in the wind as my transformation took place.

This is incredible! Flint looked at me stunned. Thanks I tell him. We walked back inside and closed the window. Flint studied my new claws and feet closely. He saw that my feet had torn through my socks. Wow, he said. This is crazy. I know, I replied. I think I've figured out what triggers it, I tell flint.

You did?? Tell me! My scientific curiosity is literally bursting right now, Flint said. Well, it happens for these reasons: because I'm looking at the moon, or I'm standing under it, trying to find it, or it's because I'm scared or frightened, or upset in any way. I grabbed Flint's hand in my paw and led him to the window. Watch this.

I stood near the window and opened it, letting all the icy air fly in. Eventually I started to shiver. Slowly I see ginger fur growing further up my arm, it was a very light ginger color, similar to my hair, dusted with some gold. I could feel it happening on my legs too.

This is mind blowing, Flint said. So the fur started to show up because you were getting too cold? Flint asked. Yes I believe so, I replied.  My fur grows when I get cold. Now I think I know why my dad wears long sleeves all year round, with his business suit. Except in the pool of course, I tell Flint. The thing is though, is if I do get cold or upset or something, I don't know how to hold it back. Somehow mayor dad can hold it back really well. And he literally gets so angry sometimes! His emotions are all over the place when he doesn't get what he wants.

So how does he keep it in so well?? I ask. I don't get it. Flint thought for a minute. Well Gil, your father is still much older then you. He's had more experience with this then you have. He probably just knows how to keep it in, even when he does get upset. He probably learned how to keep his wolf under control even when his emotions are all over the place, Flint told me. Your probably right, I replied. I just really need to figure out how to do that as well.

Come over here, I tell Flint, as I walk towards the window, close it, and sit down by the fireplace. Flint sat down next me, and observed very closely as I warmed up and my fur began to diminish. As well as my fangs and claws, my whole body going back to normal.

It seems like it's triggered when your threatened, uncomfortable, scared, or frightened. Flint tells me. Exactly, I reply. Even if it's just me being cold, the fur starts to show up. This is fascinating. I'm glad we now know what triggers this.

There is one issue though. What is it? Flint asked me. Well, look, I point to my socks which now have many holes in them, torn apart. I'm wearing really stretchy sweat pants and a t shirt so nothing got torn, but what I usually wear is not very stretchy at all. The shorts I wear are like dress pants, all neat and tight. My swears aren't as bad but I'm afraid they will tear if I accidentally transform randomly. 

I see, Flint replied. Plus I want be able to keep this as hidden as possible. What happens when we go back to school? What if I get upset and something happens? I tell Flint. My inner wolf comes out more easily at night, but sometimes I can still feel it during the day. I'm scared someone will notice.

Hmmmm, Flint thought for a moment. Most of your clothes would probably tear apart if you transformed by mistake right? Flint asks me. Yeah that's right, mayor dad's did. I just don't want that to happen at school. I tell him. Okay how about this, what if me, you, Brent, and Sam, went to the mall tomorrow to find some clothing similar to what you usually wear, just more stretchy? Flint asked. That's actually pretty good idea. I replied to him.

I can find clothing similar to what I wear all the time and we will just make sure it's stretchy enough to be able to withstand my transformations in case I get upset out in public and boom! My wolf comes out.

And when I get my full transformation, I will have fur all over, not just on my hands and feet. I can't hold it back for much longer Flint, I really can't. I'm learning how to become a human again after I transform, but eventually this is going to become a permanent part of my life.

I know, Flint replied. We will go tomorrow and get you everything you need. It's going to be okay. Okay replied. Well if we're going to the mall tomorrow I guess we should both get to bed. Yeah, flint replied. I'll text Sam and Brent, and we will come to your place, and then head to the mall. Sounds good to me.

Alright see ya flint, see you tomorrow Gil. Welp.. I thought to myself, I better get to bed if we were going to the mall tomorrow so I'm not so tired.