Chapter 1: Frantic First Week (PART 2)

Part 2

"Wake up already, Matsuda. It's just the welcome ceremony and you've already been like this, huh?"

I groggily opened my eyes, and pulled myself up.

"It's fine, Mom. What time is it, anyway?"

"Ah, it's 6:30, so you have, an hour left?"

"Why did you make me wake up so early, then?"

"Better be early than late. Come on now, get prepared."

Reluctantly, I walked out from the warm blankets and shambled like a corpse to the wardrobe.

It's been quite some time since I had to put on formal clothing, so my rhythm's a bit off.

Nevertheless, I still had ample time to accomplish everything I needed.

Shortly after, I made my way to the bus station.

...

Ah, so the bus hasn't arrived yet?

Fine then, I'll wait on the bench.

As I was about to sit down, I bumped into someone.

"Ah, sorry."

"My sincerest apologies."

"Ah, no. The blame is on me. Uhm, please, sit down."

"A-Ah, thank you."

Her voice seemed somewhat familiar, but I don't think I've heard it before.

...

What the hell?!

What did I do to be blessed with such a fortuitous encounter?

She is totally the popular type!

There's the long flowing brown hair, the skin tone is just perfect enough that it is neither pale nor burnt, beautiful blue eyes and a balanced, proportional physique! Just by a glance one can tell she's both the athletic and academic type.

Not to mention she actually has a decent personality!

And judging by the uniform, she's in the same school as I am.

Whatever class she's in is beyond just lucky.

But now I have no place to sit.

Fine, since I'm in a good mood, I'll stand and wait.

My eyes wandered around, and I caught a glimpse of another particular girl.

She's a bit smaller than I am, has short black hair, brilliant red eyes and dons the same uniform as me and the other girl. Her, uh, womanly curves are not anything to write home about, but I guess, not bad? Her skin almost has this ethereal property, it looks porcelain white, but somehow, different?

She's pretty, but not really my type.

I mean, as if I had the right to say what types of girls I like. The types that I enjoy are always out of my league.

Tch, how unfair!

Regardless, not my type.

But, she has some peculiarities that are really hard to miss.

And I mean very hard.

Her left thigh is bandaged up to near her knees, and she's wearing this black eyepatch on her right eye.

There's a white cross in the middle with four wings protruding from the intersection. Around the cross are two concentric circles, the space in between them containing several runic inscriptions. On top of the cross are two chains, as though they're holding it in place.

...The design is kind of cool.

No! What am I thinking?!

At times like this, I should be thinking 'Ah, poor girl. What kind of accident was she involved in?'

I guess there's that part of me that still lingers.

Die already, my chuunibyou...

...

Ah, the bus is finally pulling up.

The small girl from before suddenly steps forward.

"With my power, I banish you from this realm, Seal of Travels, you shall no longer be in my way. Open Sesame!"

The bus door opened as she ended her mad rambling.

But...

That voice...

That way of acting...

No...

She can't be...

Ryuko?!?!

I stepped on the bus with great hesitation.

I have a bad feeling about this girl...

Can I really lead my typical high school life like this?

No, calm down.

There's no guarantee she's in my class, and she doesn't even know who I am just yet.

That's right, there's no reason to fret.

No reason...

Let's just enjoy my first day of high school.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------