Chapter 3.2: Summer Shenanigans: The End of Shenanigans (PART 6)

Part 6

We've been keeping up the plan for a week now.

Of course, no tangible result was produced.

The house is still covered by an unbelievably thick layer of tension.

Ryuko's situation isn't improving.

I was still holding out for hope, as I thought this was gonna be us playing the waiting game.

They've got to let us go home eventually.

Problems would be resolved then.

And miraculously, fate dictated that, on that fateful Sunday night, the conflict would reach its climax.

Just not the way I expected...

It started off like any other day, with the dinner scene, of course.

Mitsuho and Yui were delivering the food up to Ryuko's room, as usual.

To think that girl of all people would adopt the hikikomori lifestyle...

As I was having dinner with Shinsuke and Ryuko's family...

"Psst! Matsuda! Mitsuho and Yui are calling you up to Ishikawa-san's room."

Shinsuke whispered this to me as he received a text message on his phone.

"Eh? What's this about?"

"Apparently Ishikawa-san's not even accepting her share today. They want you to go up to help out."

"Eh? Why me? If Mitsuho and Yui-san combined are ineffective then what do you want me to do? I thought the plan was to do exactly what we've been doing this week?"

"Welp, we've overruled that plan. Just go up and see what you can do. What does one more head hurt?"

I always have to get my hands dirty, huh...

And so, we quickly finished our portions and excused ourselves from the dinner table.

...

The squad is in front of Ryuko's door right now.

"Alright, Hideaki-kun! We're counting on you! We'll go observe from afar."

"Eh? Why is it just me? I thought we had strength in numbers, why are we throwing that advantage away?"

"Prince of Darkness, I believe the best course of action to get Master to open up is to talk to her one-on-one, individually."

"Why me and not any one of you then?"

"Matsuda, don't worry. You were just arbitrarily picked to go first. If it works then it works, if it doesn't we'll go next. If you'd like, we can go before you."

I have a feeling it isn't very arbitrary though...

"Fine, whatever, I'll do it if I have to."

I elected to ignore the smug expression on Shinsuke's face.

The sooner we get this done, the better.

"Oi, Ryuko, it's me again. You haven't had dinner yet, so you'd better get out here and take it already!"

It took a while before Ryuko's muffled voice rang out from behind the door.

"Matsuda? Why are you here now?"

"Do you not want me around then?"

"Unless you can get the password right."

Gah! Why is this girl so persistent about this whole 'password' business?