Chapter 5: 'Climactic' Conclusion to this Saga (PART 8)

Part 8

"Still, why me?"

"If Matsuda doesn't want to help me with homework, he can screw right back home! Really, why are you so whiny? Isn't helping me out such an honour?"

"Sigh, I just thought you were past the point of asking me... "

"Hmph, what's the point of having a rival if you don't make them do your work every once in a while?"

Fair enough...

Should I be worried, though? I said that exact same thing to Ryuko once...

Let's not dwell on it...

"Reminds me of the days when you were just a wee lad asking to work under my wings..."

"Don't say it like you did me a favour. All you did was send me into an embarrassing phase of my life."

"But it was fun, wasn't it?"

I can't deny that...

Going through that phase made me appreciate the time that I'm not in it.

"See? If you didn't have fun, you wouldn't have helped me out with my homework."

"That's just because I was the assistant, and you were the, eugh, 'Big Boss'. I can't even say it now."

"But you could have refused me at any time?"

"That's not how it works. I didn't have a choice."

Kaori stopped for a moment to think, before responding to me again.

"I don't think that's true. However pointless something may seem, I think one always has a choice."

I-Is she trying to hint at something?

That can't be it, Kaori's brain is too smooth for her to be this subtle, for her to make such a profound statement.

"No, that's not it. Sometimes, every choice just leads back to one result."

"I see your point. It's kind of like the endings in visual novels. A lot of the time, no matter which girl you pick, the game just ignores that and just leads right back to the route it wants you to go."

"See? You get what I'm saying. I wouldn't be able to weasel my way out because you would have forced me back."

It seems I was right after all.

This girl really is too dumb to hint at the current situation.

"But, real life isn't a visual novel."

Wait, maybe I'm wrong? This girl is sending all kinds of mixed signals.

"You're one to speak. You constantly compare romantic situations in real life with the games you play."

"Eh? But I can tell the two apart plenty. I just get excited when I see something that resembles those games, that's all..."

"I wouldn't call it excitement, it's more like overzealousness..."

"Whatever you call it, it doesn't matter! I can make a distinction. And I can tell you with certainty that things are different."

"Hold on, I never said they were one in the same. It was you who came up with the analogy. Of course I know things are different."

"Eh? Then why is Matsuda acting like one of those protagonists then?"

"Excuse me? Are you calling me bland and generic?"

"Even if I am, you know that already, so there's not much of a point telling you."

"Oi."

"No, I'm talking about how Matsuda keeps going along with whatever the story takes him."