Chapter 2: Midterms Mania (PART 9)

Part 10

Today's a big day.

The day midterm exams take place.

It's fine, I'll be fine, as long as I put the knowledge I got from Ryuko to use.

As soon as I received the test papers, I skimmed through the questions on it.

"Find the area under the- What?!"

"Hideaki-kun, be quiet!"

Hah? Did Ryuko and I ever get to this part? Are we even supposed to be able to do it yet? It doesn't look a whole lot like algebra.

The whole test can't be like this, right?

Maybe I'll fare better with the geometry part?

Find the volume of the highlighted area.

Alright, we skimmed a bit over this, I could probably figure something out.

Well, no, because there are 20 overlapping, intersecting planes on the object. Not to mention the dotted lines on the interior obscuring everything.

Just trying to interpret this monstrosity is already an exercise in futility.

I desperately looked in Ryuko's direction, once again seeking her help.

What the hell?!

Not only is she not even noticing my plights, but she's doing the test at break-neck speeds.

Shinsuke, what about him?

That won't do, the teacher is standing real close.

He's targeting me, after all...

Yui?

She's already done?!

Fine, no more of this.

I'll do it my way...

That being intuition, dumb luck and logical deductions. Sometimes I'll actually do the problem seriously. Just sometimes.

This is multiple choice after all, so it's better than nothing, at least.

...

Another big day.

Today, the test gets returned.

"Usually, I make comments after I return the test. But today, before I return these, I'll make the announcement. The class average is 75, lower than last time, but that's to be expected. Overall, everyone did well enough. Welp, I know you lot don't like to hear about academic stuff very often, so I'll end class here. The midterm celebration's tomorrow, have a good day. Yui-san, help me return the tests."

The teacher walked out of the room without calling out any student in class.

Good signs so far.

Ah, is that Yui approaching my seat, or is it Shinsuke's?

It's mine...

...

The paper's in my hands now.

I'm keeping my eyes shut, just for dramatic suspense.

I slowly opened them...

The blurry numbers are growing increasingly clear...

"!"

...

...

...

"Yo, Matsuda. How did you do this time?"