Chapter 2: Midterms Mania (PART 8)

Part 8

"You really defeated her by yourself?"

"I had to use a dirty trick here and there, but for the most part, I stood my own ground."

"What did you even do to come out victorious against such a powerful being?"

Mitsuho and Ryuko ran off to where Kaori originally was, not expecting her to ambush me near the clubroom.

They didn't even think of going back when they didn't see her there again.

"Anyways, she's in here, ask whatever you want."

I opened the clubroom door, and was greeted by a very pleasant sight.

Kaori and Yui were having a delightful conversation.

But, the former, noticing my arrival, instantly turned her head and looked at me.

Continue having the conversation, damn it! I don't want to be dragged into further troubles just yet!

"The Usurper and his entourage decided to show up, after all. I can't believe you had to resort to such tactics to defeat me, but I'll be a good sport. A loss is a loss, what do you want to ask me about, then?"

"Aren't you supposed to get all mad that I used such a sneaky strategy to beat you? And after that, shouldn't you walk out of here angrily, swearing your return? And shouldn't that pattern go on for weeks or months, drawing out our inevitable reconciliation?"

"Oi, I know what sportsmanship is. We made a deal before the fight, and I lost. I'll abide by the given conditions. So you'd rather delay this so-called 'inevitable reconciliation', huh? That's fine by me, too."

"A-Ah, it's nothing. Ignore what I said, they were just the ramblings of a mad man..."

I honestly didn't expect her to uphold her end of the bargain.

"Well, I guess the most pressing question I have on my mind is, why exactly did you come here, after disappearing for two years? I thought you moved out to Tokyo or something?"

"Isn't that obvious? I came here to, once and for all, vanquish you, my lifelong rival."

"Oi, I'm serious. We're not talking in terms of those delusions anymore. I've moved on from that phase of my life."

"If we're being serious, I just moved back recently- Wait, huh? You really moved on? Is this some kind of dream? You just sparred with me a few moments ago, though."

"Make no mistake, that was just so I could make you talk. I'm over it."

"Then, I've won, haven't I? There's no point in fighting you anymore... I can finally give up now..."

I let out a barely audible sigh.

A very clumsy performance. If you want to fool others into believing your words, then at least don't get teary-eyed when saying it.

Obviously she doesn't want to quit. She's having too much fun being a chuunibyou.

It's just that for the past two years, she's been using me as a foundation, an excuse for her chuuni persona's existence.

Time to do what I'm best at, validating other people's self-identity and interests through non-socially acceptable words.

"Hmm, quitting because I quit? I didn't realize my rival was so weak-willed, so dependent, basing herself on the identity of others. Maybe you weren't such a worthy rival after all."

"D-Don't you dare say that! Didn't everyone who quit this because they thought it was childish or something? What if I think it's infantile, too?!"

Did you ever care about being immature? Your barrier gets less effective by the minute.