Chapter 3.2: Summer Shenanigans: The End of Shenanigans (PART 7)

Part 7

"Is... this the place? It looks kind of, how do I put it? Empty? Desolate? Barren?"

"..."

Ryuko didn't reply, she just stared at this supposed 'Otherworld' of hers in utter disbelief.

It was just a small, empty, vacant patch of land.

How underwhelming...

I really thought there was more to this.

And there really does seem to be more, judging from Ryuko's stunned expression and her inability to answer me just now.

Really, what did she even drag me out here for?

"Oi, Ryuko. I just asked, what even is this place?"

She still didn't reply, but there was a voice that spoke out from behind us.

The voice I'd least want to hear right now...

"Her childhood home. Our home."

We snapped our heads back at the mysterious owner of that voice.

"M-Mr. Ishikawa?! H-How are you here?"

"I simply knew this was the place you two would go."

He... knew? How?!

Also, childhood home? Wasn't the place from before her childhood home?

"I know you must have many questions. Allow me to explain briefly. The place you're staying at is her grandparent's house. And this, or what it used to be, was her childhood home."

After some quick thinking, I suppose he's telling the truth. Ryuko's room looked plain and undecorated, just like the one I was staying at for the summer. It can't have been her childhood home.

He planned to continue...

"Of course, it's gone now, after-"

However, he abruptly cut himself off at that point, and shook his head, seemingly ridding himself of an undesirable train of thought.

He looked at me coldly.

"Nevermind, why should I have to explain it to you? My objective here is to retrieve you, Ryuko. Come back to your grandparent's place at once! This conversation will continue there!"

I really got myself into a big mess...

But, I didn't have much time to whine and complain in my own head about this crisis, as I soon realized my grievances were far trivial compared to what was about to unfold.

"No! This has to be a lie! T-This can't be... This can't be the Otherworld I've longed for... It does not look like this!"

I could only stare in shock.

For the first time in my life, I saw Ryuko cry out in utter despair.

This was something not involving me anymore.

The situation has escalated way beyond the extent of my abilities...

I wanted to, no, I felt like I had to do something to end it, but ultimately, there was nothing I could do.

Mr. Ishikawa's eyebrows furrowed in frustration.

"There it is again. Otherworld this, Otherworld that! I'm tired of seeing you act out these delusional scenarios! Do you want to keep being a burden to your grandparents? Do you like seeing me put up with your incessant, unending overactive imagination? What would she think, seeing you run away like this?"