Chapter 4: Cultural Club Crisis (PART 9)

Part 9

Tomorrow's the day...

One of much preparation, anticipation, consideration and deliberation...

And not just for the cultural festival.

Even though I haven't even gotten there yet, I'm still very nervous and antsy.

It definitely shows.

I had five separate people offer to take me to the infirmary today from just how much of a walking cadaver I looked like.

Come on, me! It's not even the day yet! You keep saying to everyone you're a master procrastinator, aren't you?! So act like it! Don't bother with which that has yet to come. Follow the teachings of that one anime goddess!

"Matsuda? You look pale, do you need to rest up? You can rest up on the bus on the way home, so just hang on for now!"

Mark that tally count up to six.

Anyways, no thanks! There's no way I can rest easy like that! Not right next to the person I'm gonna confess to the day after!

"T-Thanks for the concern, but I'm fine, for the most part..."

"If you say so..."

By the way, since it's the penultimate day of preparation, Yui's crew is done with the song now.

And...

It's way better than I originally thought it would be!

The lyrics are definitely a product of Kaori's chuunibyou, but it's not nearly as bad as she usually is. It's actually comprehensible, for once.

Of course, I am in no position for musical appraisals, but from what my untrained ears tell me, it's good. Astonishingly good.

I'm sure no one would have a problem with this!

We also finished making all the final preparations. Decorating the room, re-positioning some props, blah blah blah.

And now, as per usual, I'm walking home with Ryuko.

The knowledge of what's to come tomorrow really amps up the tension of what normally is a completely innocuous task.

I guess I just can't take my mind off of it, no matter how hard I try...

Am I really supposed to walk all the way home like this?!

...

This is really dangerous!

Why is Ryuko walking so close to me now?!

"U-Uhm, Ryuko..."

"Hmm?"

She turned her eyes upwards to look at me.

That soul-piercing gaze...

Everything she does is so moe now, damn it!

Where did the husk of a human such as I find emotions like this?! I was supposed to be the straight man type of character, wasn't I?!

Falling for the chuunibyou is, in hindsight, to be expected, at least in the stuff of fiction.

But it's really damn image-breaking when it happens in real life!

"Matsuda?"

"A-Ah, it's nothing... It's still barely into autumn, and you're walking a tad close, so it's a bit too warm for me..."

"Just a bit? Then I'm sure Matsuda doesn't mind, right? Just bear the heat for now."

Eh?

That would have normally worked...