Chapter 5: 'Climactic' Conclusion to this Saga (PART 4)

Part 4

"Hey, Ryuko."

"Hmm? What is it? Does Matsuda want to confess again? I don't mind hearing it twice!"

"O-Oi, I'm being serious here."

"Eh? What does Matsuda really want to tell me then?"

"It's about that. I think you should take that visit to your grandparents."

That's the choice I made, yesterday.

Am I particularly thrilled with that choice? Was it something I wanted to do? Not exactly.

But it was a choice I had to make.

I couldn't just tell her to stay here with me.

No matter how you slice it, that would be selfish. Selfish to her, and her family.

And so, I'm seeing her off at the train station right now.

"Thanks for giving me the strength I needed to go on this trip, Matsuda."

"The strength you needed? Weren't you planning on going anyways?"

"Sure, but if I'm to be honest, I was a bit terrified. You know how it went the last time."

She smiled wryly as memories of the summer trip came flooding back.

I tried to smile back but I really couldn't.

I wish I didn't have to be the one to make this choice...

But at the same time, I can't show her that I too am unsure.

I don't want her to lose hope during such a trip.

"I'm glad I gave you the motivation, then. Don't do anything reckless, alright?"

"I won't. Matsuda won't have to clean up any of my mess this time."

Hopefully I won't...

We just stood there wordlessly after, waiting for the train to arrive.

Once it did, Ryuko turned to me again...

To say goodbye.

"I guess this is goodbye for now. Await my return, alright? I'll be right back, and we can continue our daily lives like usual."

A temporary farewell, yet it sounds like words of resolution...

I really do hope nothing bad comes up while she's there!

"Have a safe trip then. Goodbye."

"Farewell, Matsuda."

She took a step on the train car, and waved to me as the train left again.

In just mere moments, the sight of that small girl slipped out of my vision.

Just as I was about to turn back and get to school, I was halted by a certain, unexpected visitor.

"You! Master already got on that train, didn't she?"

"Mitsuho? Why are you here?"

"Answer my question, damn it!"

She's livid...

"Yeah. The train left the station just now."

"Why didn't you stop her?"

"..."

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to say anything either. It took me a great deal of contemplation to finally make this choice, and I was not quite ready to explain my thought process to others.