Chapter 3.1: Summer Shenanigans (PART 4)

Part 4

The penultimate location we went to was a shrine area nearby, as per Yui's and Shinsuke's suggestion.

"Come on, my faithful servant! Let's go there and empower ourselves. The Tyrant's Sentinel too, you'll have to power yourself up before you can face Matsuda again!"

As soon as we got there, Ryuko started showcasing her hyperactivity.

"E-Eh?! W-Where are you taking me? Matsuda, I know we're rivals, but let's just help me out this once!"

"Have fun you three."

"Hahhh?!?!"

Ryuko and Mitsuho proceeded to drag Kaori to god-knows-where, leaving me, Yui and Shinsuke behind.

I thought of some small talk just to fill the silence.

"Say, Yui-san, why did you choose to go to a shrine of all places?"

"Oh? No reason, really. I just chose this place because I haven't been to one for so long. Let's just go round, then."

A surprisingly straightforward answer.

Yui then turned around, happily interlocking her hands with Shinsuke's.

Damned riajuus...

Really, why did those three leave me here to be the third wheel? It feels awkward as hell...

I guess it's better than to go alone.

I caught up to the couple and made just a little bit of distance behind them, so as to give them some privacy.

I suppose the atmosphere of visiting a shrine in summer is pleasant to be in once in a while. The sun's cruel effects are somewhat diminished by the small forest of trees we're walking under.

Well, there's one thing...

My version of 'pleasant' doesn't exactly include the ear-grating cacophony of cicadas shrilling all throughout the place. Even though I've never been here, it feels like I've heard this exact composition before, I just can't pinpoint it down...

Overall though, it feels like I'm actually doing something with my life, being outside and gazing at the greenery around and whatnot.

There's not a lot of people visiting at this time of day either, so I don't even have to apologize to someone after accidentally bumping into them.

Let's just relish this moment for now, before anything strange comes up again.

Before long, I caught myself staring absentmindedly into nowhere.

"Hideaki-kun? Is something wrong? You're zoning out."

"Huh? N-No, I'm fine. My brain was just on autopilot."

"You thinking about Ryuko again, Matsuda? Look, I know it's hard being separated, even temporarily, but you gotta give her some freedom every now and then. Sometimes, just like us guys, the girls have to go hang out too."

I let out a distinct sigh, just so everyone is aware of my exasperation with Shinsuke.

"You're still going on about that, huh? Did it really just take that one time in the infirmary to imprint the wrong impression in everyone's minds?"

Yui and Shinsuke snickered at me, like they knew something I don't.

"Oi, what's so funny?"

"I-It's nothing, Hideaki-kun. Just, the way you two act around each other makes it very difficult for us not to do what we do. After all, don't the two of you spend the most time with one another? More than with any other person in our group?"