Chapter 2: Midterms Mania (PART 3)

Part 3

Ahhh, I'm finally back home!

No more torturous studying sessions with Ryuko, at least for the day.

At long last, I am free to peruse the website hailed as the best friend of a man for exotic, uncharted codes.

This is an undertaking not just for my sake, but also for my brothers in arms.

I was too absorbed in my session when...

"Hi Matsuda, ready to continue... the... grind...?"

Oh no.

I was too careless, Ryuko's now standing there, staring at my monitor, her face painted beet red.

But...

Even though my deepest, most sickening, sinful secrets have been revealed for Ryuko to lay her eyes upon, I don't feel even an ounce of shame or remorse.

Is this the so-called state of Nirvana, of enlightenment?

If my demise is certain, what's the point of agonizing over it?

What's the point of crying over spilt milk?

"H-How disgusting..."

She says that, but she's still looking intently at the screen, taking big, nervous gulps every now and then. She has her face in her palms, but the disguise isn't very convincing, as anyone could still see her eyes through the gaps in between her fingers.

I'd say it is very cute that just the cover art made her so flustered, but I can't help but feel great unease and trepidation as my inevitable downfall awaits...

I patiently turned off my PC, and sat on the floor and profusely prostrated.

"W-What are you doing all of a sudden?"

"I'm very sorry. My crimes are indeed punishable by a noble suicide, but I truly deserve retribution that's even worse than death."

...

"I still can't believe you would look at things like... that when I live just one house away and could come here at any time."

"How is that my fault?! So what if you live one house away?! It's only natural that a guy my age would be curious about that kind of stuff. In fact, aren't you to blame for snooping around my abode without my permission? Since I'm such a merciful, magnanimous saint, I'll excuse your crimes, but at least give me some forewarning first before you come here!"

"I don't think I'll ever be unimpressed by your ability to do mental gymnastics and shift the blame from yourself to others."

She looked at me with dead, cold eyes.

S-Scary!

"Whatever, what's behind us is behind us, let bygones be bygones, blah blah. If I say sorry, you won't tell anyone about this, right? If that's the case, I deeply apologize."

"Hmph, I'll ignore it this time. Don't think I'll let you off the hook if this ever repeats."

This won't ever repeat, Hideaki Matsuda doesn't make the same mistake twice.

I just have to be more covert when I do it.

"Welp, glad that's over. What did you even come here for, anyways?"

"I already said I would help you prepare for midterms, didn't I? Paying a little more attention wouldn't hurt, you know?"

Pouting like that while saying such words is outright illegal! That is my Achilles' heel!