Chapter 5: 'Climactic' Conclusion to this Saga (PART 6)

Part 6

"Hideaki-kun! Why didn't-"

"Matsuda. Last evening-"

I knew I couldn't escape this fate...

"Oi, it's fairly obvious, isn't it? That girl's leaving for good. I saw a moving truck in front of her house just yesterday. It doesn't get any more concrete than that."

I chose to answer straightforwardly, thinking it would get them off my back.

Instead, it had the sheer, complete opposite effect.

"Isn't that completely unacceptable, Hideaki-kun? You two just started dating and you're already breaking it off?"

"Then shouldn't this mean you have to go retrieve her from that place? We can arrange something this weekend-"

"Oi! Don't make it sound like it's some quest I have to go on! Ryuko isn't an item I can fetch back! If that girl wants to be stubborn and stay at her grandparents', then I say let her!"

"E-Eh? Was Mitsuho right all along? Is Hideaki-kun really this heartless?"

"Don't believe anything that loli tells you, damn it!"

"Good grief, since when did Matsuda get so spiteful? You shouldn't throw childish temper tantrums just because your girlfriend decided she wanted some time off."

Those two looked at me with disapproving eyes and shook their heads.

How irritating...

"If you two don't have anything important to say, then I'm going home."

I promptly picked up my bags and turned the other way.

What a complete waste of my time...

Even as I left, those two yelled out to me.

"Final advice, she needs you more than ever right now!!"

Tch, as if I care.

She told me to stay away? Then I will!

I still have plenty of things to keep myself occupied with. I can't just be hung up with something in the past.

As I made my way to the schoolyard, about to leave through the gates of he- school, I heard someone call out to me.

"Matsuda-senpai~!"

Ahh, what a nice feeling...

Being called a senpai by such a sweet, feminine voice...

Can you say that a couple hundred more times?

I turned around to see where it came from.

She was a small, dainty girl who had golden, silky hair that was let loose behind her back. Her eyes shone a bright yellow color, and her skin looked quite pale.

She wasn't a student at this school. Instead, her uniform indicated she was from a reputable all-girls private middle school.

Such a bishoujo stood out like a sore thumb amongst the tens of generic students walking by, me included. And she's calling out to me, of all people.

"?!"

"Matsuda-senpai, why do you look so shocked? Do you need to rest up?"

"A-Ah, it's nothing. I was just surprised someone called me a senpai. You see, I'm only a first-year, after all."

She gave me a cheeky smile.

"I'm well aware of that."

"About that, have we met before? Was it on the bus or something?"