Family Portrait

3rd Person POV

In the darkness of a lone mountain range, a man stands above a massive cliff, looking over the countryside. The identity of this man was soon revealed... Van Hohenheim. Edward and Alphonse's father.

Hohenheim: Donatus... Poswell... (Loosens his tie) Reinmeir... Gianni... Collins... Toni... Willard... (Opens his shirt) Ripley... Mechthild... Mayo... Forgive me... But I have to use you.

Upon opening his shirt, Hohenheim did something strange... He dug his fingers into his chest and ripped them out, spilling blood all over the ground. Suddenly however, the blood all swirls into several small tendrils, sinking into the ground, away from sight...

Hohenheim looks down at the ground, though hidden from sight with his glasses, the elder Elric's eyes were very clearly filled with sorrow, almost like what he just did felt wrong to him... Or something else over his long never-ending life...

Flashback

Resembool, 1902

Thirteen Years Ago

Back in the home of the Elric brothers, their father looked over the brothers as they peacefully slept. The eyes of their father were heavy, almost like he was about to do something he didn't want to do, or like he was ashamed of something, though the source of that shame was unknown. Luckily, there was someone who could try and figure out Hohenheim's feelings... His wife... Trisha Elric...

Trisha: You know you can hug them, right? They are our sons.

Hohenheim: I don't want the monster to spread...

Trisha: Please... If it could spread that way... Don't you think I would've caught it a long time ago?

After hearing all about how Trisha doesn't think Hohenheim is a monster or that she'll be cursed to suffer because of him, Hohenheim needed to find a way to convince his wife to see his reasoning about why he feels the way he does about himself.

Hohenheim: (Gets up) Since I got this body, I've seen a lot of death. But I always tried to think about it as part of the flow of the larger world... (Looks out the window) That made it easier somehow. And each time I encountered something new and wondrous, it seemed right that I'd accepted this body and kept on living... For a long time, that was enough... But then... I met you, and together we created two sons. Now it's different... I don't get any older, but my sons age and grow before my eyes. And suddenly I'm terrified... I'm realizing that I really am a monster.

Timeskip

The next day, Hohenheim was hard at work in his lab, trying to figure out what he was going to do to deal with his immortality. However, Trisha was quick to pull him away from the research for something very important happening in the house.

Trisha: Dear! Dear, come here a minute!

Hohenheim: (Sighs) (Walks through the door) What is it?

The elder Elric walks through the door, wanting to see what Trisha wanted from him... However, upon walking through the door, he found something that he certainly didn't expect... Or more accurately, he found someone he didn't expect... A photographer.

Photographer: Hello, sir... Good afternoon.

Hohenheim: (Confused) A photographer?

Trisha: Yes. Here, let's fix you up. (Starts fixing Hohenheim's shirt) You know we don't have a single family picture.