018 - Eyeliner

I had no idea where I was going, I just needed to get away. My anger had quickly turned to embarrassment.

Eddie and I never made anything official. Just because I thought we were more, didn't mean that he did.

He could do whatever he wanted. Be with whoever he wanted. Be with Chrissy.

But it felt right...

God, I wanted to throw up. I had run so far that I was nearly out of the neighborhood before I began to panic, realizing I didn't know where I was.

The heel of my boot betrayed me once more and hung itself in the sidewalk. It snapped, sending me tumbling to the ground. I caught myself on my hands and knees, instantly feeling the burn of the concrete rip my skin. Pain in my left knee radiated through my entire leg. I knew it was bad without even looking at it.

I slowly rolled over to assess the damage, filled with instant regret. The fall had caused my jumpsuit to tear, and the flesh on my knee was splayed open. Blood trickled down my shin as I tried to rid the wound of gravel and dirt. I began to feel woozy at the sight.

I heard the sound of a vehicle and looked up to see Eddie's van pull up beside me before my vision went blurry and my head hit the pavement.

************

I blinked a few times to clear my vision. My hair was stuck to my clammy neck, and my head felt foggy.

There was a bright light in the corner of my eye, and I realized someone was holding me. The startling thought caused me to come to full consciousness, flinching at the pain in my knee.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't move too quickly. You hit your head pretty hard" I heard his melodic voice.

I fluttered my eyes open, and Eddie was staring down at me. He cradled me with one arm and held a damp cloth in the other, gently patting my face.

He looked absolutely angelic from this angle. His hair gently cascaded down around his face and shoulders, and those eyes were still their beautiful chocolate brown, but there was something different about them. I felt the corners of my mouth twitch at the sight of him.

Is that eyeliner?

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?" he asked.

His face was so close to mine I could feel his breath on my lips and smell his sexy shampoo. Instinctively, I reached up and gently brushed his bottom lip with my thumb.

If this was a dream, I never wanted to wake up.

"Where am I?" I whispered.

"We're at my trailer" he replied, never pulling away from my touch. "You passed out, and I brought you here to clean you up."

I looked down at my knee, bracing myself for a bloody mess. Instead, I saw a clean set of white gauze and bandages wrapped around the wound. Eddie must have cleaned and dressed it for me.

"Thank you" I whispered as I slowly sat up.

"You really scared me, Ali. Are you okay? Do you need me to take you to the ER?" he asked fear shaking his voice.

I shook my head. "No, I'll be fine. I told you what happens when I see blood" I let out a small laugh. "I wasn't joking." I looked around and realized we were sitting in the floor of Eddie's bathroom. "Help me up?" I asked.

He wrapped his arm around my waist helping me to stand up. His touch caused butterflies to stir in my stomach.

"Be careful" he warned. "You might have a concussion."