025 - Lovers Lake

I followed Eddie carefully stepping over broken limbs and mounds of fallen leaves. "Where did you say we were going?"

"I didn't. Just close your eyes. It's a surprise." He replied reaching for my hand and leading me closer to our unknown destination. "We have to hurry though, or we'll miss it."

"Okay, but please don't let me fall." I grumbled closing my eyes and clinging tightly to his arm.

I didn't do the outdoors. I was far too clumsy to be the adventurous type. A walking hazard, if you will. I felt much safer sitting at my window and admiring natures beauty from a safe, air-conditioned distance.

Being that my eyes were closed, my other senses were on overdrive. I could smell the water before I heard it, and the longer we walked the louder the crickets sang.

"Alright, open your eyes" Eddie whispered into my ear.

I blinked, slowly clearing my vision and a small gasp escaped my lips. The view in front of us was quite literally breathtaking. A picturesque sunset at the edge of a lake.

"This is beautiful, Eddie. Where are we?"

"Lovers Lake" he grinned. "You've never been here?"

I shook my head, stepping close enough to the water that I could get a better look, but far enough away that I'd be safe if I were to fall. "Lovers Lake, huh? Do you come here often?" I teased.

He rolled his eyes. "Only when I need to get away from the noise." He answered and reached for my hand. "Come on, I want to show you my favorite spot."

Attached to the muddy bank was a small wooden dock with a two-person canoe tied to the end.

"Woah, Eddie. You do not want to get in that thing with me. Trust me." I shook my head, slowly backing away.

Eddie only laughed and reached for my waist. "Please, Ali. Do it for me?" he mocked, intentionally fluttering his long dark lashes.

He was using my own tactics against me. He knew I was no match against those stupid puppy dog eyes. "Fine. But if we flip, it's your fault."

He stepped down into the canoe first, then reached for my hand. I felt Mrs. Wheeler's pie revisit the back of my throat. I swallowed deeply before stepping into my demise. I didn't want to make an ass of myself in front of Eddie...again.

He helped me to the seat inside of the small boat, before sitting across from me. Our knees barely grazed, as he slowly began to row away from the safety of the shoreline.

My fingers ached at the white-knuckle grip I held to the wood. "Relax, Ali. We're almost there."

"I'm sorry. I just don't want to make a bigger fool of myself." I sighed, finally looking up at him.

He laughed and shook his head. "Trust me sweetheart, the only fool here is me."

What does that mean?

He continued slowly rowing the boat closer to the center of the lake, each pass making the sun appear larger. It actually was the perfect spot. The precise location to soak in the seamless view of the rusty orange and petal pink sky meeting the cool blue waters edge.

I felt my nervousness wash away with the rippling water that surrounded us. "This is it" he beamed, smiling over at me. "What do you think?"

"I love it, Eddie. Thank you for sharing it with me" I answered softly.

I turned away from the view of the sunset and noticed Eddie watching me intently. "What is it? Is everything okay?"

"Perfect, Ali" he paused. "Everything is perfect. All because of you. That's why I brought you here" he explained.