Epilogue

3 YEARS LATER

"You may now kiss the bride."

The small chapel had been decorated simply, yet tasteful. The fresh scent of gardenias filled my nose. While pops of black, white, and warm candlelight painted the hall.

I squeezed Eddie's hand firmly from the front row, witnessing the union of Dave and Mel. My uncle kissed his bride with a tenderness that made my heart swell. Robin stood next to me, tears staining her freckled cheeks as the intimate gathering of our friends and family erupted into cheers and congratulations.

Dave and Mel were perfect for each other. Two lost souls that were always destined to find one another. I smiled through glossy vision, resting my head against Eddie's lean shoulder.

************

"Allison Reed, may I have this dance?" Eddie offered his ringed hand to me.

I downed my glass of champagne, smiling wildly into his blitzed, brown eyes. It wasn't often that I got to see Eddie in a suit. But when I did...damn there wasn't much he couldn't convince me to do.

"I thought you'd never ask, Munson."

As he led me to the dance floor, I took in the sight of our friends around us. Nancy and Steve stiffly shifted back and forth. He wasn't a dancer, but he was willing to do absolutely anything for Nance. The pair decided to give their relationship another shot soon after starting at the college, and were engaged a year later. The wedding date was set for this summer.

Robin was dancing with her girlfriend of two years, Jessi. They met at a rally, marching for equal rights. Initially, they bonded over recent breakups, until the friendship unexpectedly blossomed into something much more beautiful. I genuinely liked Jessi. She balanced Robin's chaos nicely.

My mom was at the edge of the dance floor having a drink with Wayne. Their relationship was strictly platonic, but they enjoyed each other's company all the same. We'd all spent a lot more time together since she accepted a permanent position in the city two weeks ago.

Eddie and I swayed slowly on the dance floor. One palm at the small of my back as the other held my left, gently lacing his fingers through mine. I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck, his dark waves ticking my cheek, and inhaled his warm familiar scent. After all this time, his touch still caused the butterflies within my stomach to take flight.

His chest began to vibrate, and he quietly lulled These Arms of Mine by Otis Redding into my ear. His raspy, melodic voice sent chills down my spine, and fire to my core.

These arms of mine, they are yearning
Yearning from wanting you
And if you would let them hold you
Oh, how grateful I will be

Eddie's arms were in fact the only place I ever wanted to be. The song had long since ended, but Eddie and I lingered. His hands now snugly planted around my waist, as my finger drew outlines over his heart.

"Ohh cousin?" Robin slurred, interrupting our peaceful moment.

"I think of you more as an annoying sister, really" I groaned, reluctantly moving from my place on Eddie chest. I turned my head to look at the couple, but Eddie's hands never left from my waist.

"You'll have to forgive her...this time" Jessi spoke shyly. "I think she's had a little too much champagne"

Robin giggled, pinching her girlfriend's rosy cheeks "Guilty."

"So, Robin told me their selling the bookstore?" Jessi asked.

I nodded my head, sipping from the glass of champagne Eddie had placed in my hand. "Mmhm, Ms. Calloway sold the place two days ago. She's decided to spend her golden years with cabana boys in Florida" I laughed, thinking of the petite white haired woman poolside, sipping from drinks with little umbrellas. "I'm supposed to meet to new owners next week."