Chapter 23

"Our whole lives all I've done is protect you Calista," he said.

"No you haven't. From the second you could run off and not deal with our parents you did. I endured so much shit that my big brother promised to protect me from. And I have 20 years of built up anger to unleash on you asshole," I said.

He was still holding the gun in my face but I knew tonight could end in my death. I didn't care though. I had accepted that earlier when I decided to slip from my bed and Happy.

"I have the gun Callie," he said.

"And I don't care if I die. So shoot me if you're going to asshole," I said. He didn't. I rushed at him, wincing and screaming simultaneously when my arm suddenly felt like I was on fire. He'd fucking shot me. Not to kill me though. I had to get that gun back. I needed to be back in control so I could get out the bullet that I could feel now securely lodged in my bicep. I shoved him and the gun clattered from his hand. He seemed shocked that I wasn't laying on the ground in pain. I hit him square in the nose a couple of times. He was not impressed by that. He shoved me again and immediately went to grab the gun. I was quicker and grabbed my knife, slicing the tendons in his knee. He fell to the ground, screaming. I put my knife back, grabbing the gun and placing it back in my waistband. I grabbed him a towel and tied it to his leg before zip-tieing him to a chair.

I went to the bathroom and got the first aid kit, my adrenaline was wearing off as the sun came up outside. I sat at the table, using the lamp and window for light. It had to be nearing 6:00. Happy would notice I was gone soon.

I poured out some bourbon on my bullet wound and a set of tweezers. I was starting to shake. I thought about calling Happy or Chibs but decided against it. I grit my teeth and started digging in my arm for the bullet. I couldn't really see what I was doing but I felt metal on metal and almost screamed.

A few engines could be heard in the driveway, but I didn't think anything of it. I took a deep breath and gripped the bullet with the tweezers, pulling as hard as I could. I screamed as the tweezers and bullet clattered onto the table. I grabbed a tampon, ripping it open with my teeth and shoving the cotton into the wound. I put gauze and tape over it as I sat with my hands shaking, covered in a combination of mine and my brothers blood.

"Calista," Happy's voice yelled.

"Inside," I said. I sounded almost as weak as I felt.

A group of men in leather burst through the door of the cabin. A few were in front of me and a few went to my brother.

"What happened?" Happy's voice was steady but clearly angry.

"He shot me. Bullets out," I nodded to the table. "Losing blood though." Chibs was busy cutting the sleeve off my hoodie.

He ended up needing to stitch it. I had thought about it but I knew I wouldn't be able to.

"Tell us everything," Happy demanded, so I did. I started with the decision to protect my brothers and ended with them bursting through the door. By the time I was done, Chibs had my arm stitched up and had gone to check on my brother who was still crying like a baby over his ripped ligaments.

"You won't need them when I kill you," I snapped.

Tig looked worried but handed me a candy bar.

"Eat it baby. You'll start to feel better," he said.

"Don't call me baby," I said, tearing into the package anyways.