Chapter Eight

________________

You were enjoying your walk around Rivdendell. There were plenty of faces you had missed and so many sights that were worthy of seeing again. Your leg was back to normal having eaten a full meal and rested it while lounging in the gardens.

You were walking down a long corridor back to the company when a voice met your ears.

"I don't believe Thorin feels he's answerable to anyone." It was Gandalf.

You stopped and hid behind a column deciding to eves drop. Looking out, you saw a familiar fur coat and long black hair bathed in moonlight, no doubt he was doing the same as you. Thankfully he seemed unaware of your presence.

"There is a prophecy, Gandalf, if those dwarves enter that mountain, all that awaits is dragon fire and ruin." Lord Elrond replied.

Gandalf sighed, "Yes well, the dwarves will see this done whether we like it or not. It might actually be a good thing Thorin's found his one in y/n."

You almost gasped but covered your mouth in hopes of keeping it down. You were Thorin's one? Well that would actually explain a few things.

"Is she?" Elrond asked back, "Then I presume that he his her soulmate?"

"Yes, whether or not they realize it is a separate issue entirely. They must understand there is some connection between them, the way they stare at each other as if they know what the other is thinking. The reason y/n agreed to come on this venture in the first place was the pull of her soulmate inside Bilbo's home. That, and the fact that she wishes to look upon the great worm."

Elrond sounded worried at this, "There's no telling if she could survive a transformation like that!"

"The alpha blood in her, makes her think otherwise. And what if she can? She would be a valuable ally."

There was a moment of silence as Elrond was likely thinking to himself.

"Then assuming, they were to marry and have children, the royal line of Durin would forever possess skin changer blood. Can you imagine it, Gandalf? The lonely mountain protected by dragons forevermore. During any given age there is always one dragon alive to live during it. Middle Earth would would have more dragons about than it is used to. This could upset the balance of things."

"I confess, it would be a sight to see. That is a discussion for another time perhaps. My friend, is there word from Lady Galadriel?" Gandalf wondered and their voices become quieter as they walked farther away.

There was a moment of silence while Thorin just stood with his back to you, you went to turn away-

"-Shouldn't you be resting with the others?" Thorin's voice stopped you.

You swallowed and turned to him, "I've slept the day away already, I'm restless. I could say the same to you, you know?"

Thorin turned and looked at you with a blank stare. Not being able to read him set you on edge. It probably had something to do about what you'd overheard.

You stepped closer to him, "it's a lot to take in."

"I should've told you."

You shrugged, "I'm sure you had your reasons." You quieted and looked down and idea hatched in your head then, "I know this beautiful spot—one of the hidden gems of this place. Walk with me? And we can discuss anything you'd like."

Thorin thought over the suggestion before nodding and walking beside you to this hidden place.

<><><><><><><>