Chapter Fourteen

"Y/n?...y/n darling, wake up." Thorin's gentle voice probed. He rubbed your shoulder gently to get you to stir.

You stretched in response and groaned, turning over, "just a little longer, Thorin."

He chuckled, "Sorry darling, it is time to meet our gracious host."

You groaned again and wiped your face, "I was having this wonderful dream. I was a running with the horse herds of Rohan. We were cooling off in a river; the sun was shinning off the sweat of our backs and the glimmering of the river made us one of the same. We were all connected. If you ever want to know freedom, all you have to do is ride a horse, truly."

Thorin smiled, "sounds beautiful."

You sighed and looked off, "it is."

After a moment of silence Thorin gave you a pat, "come on. We've devised a plan to introduce ourselves."

You nodded and stood up. Your injuries were mere scabs today.

You hugged the blanket closer to you as you nearer the rest of the company. Maybe gave you warm smiles while others asked you how you were faring.

"So what is this plan you've all come up with?" You said as you took in the home for the first time. Everything was large—very large. There were cows and goats walking about and mice and giant bees that dotted the place. Beorn most definitely like animals like Gandalf said.

Balin sliced up an apple as he spoke, " we'd like to introduce ourselves slowly. Two at a time should work. Gandalf thinks it will anyway."

Gandalf looked on nervously, "Beorn has a very short temper, and he's not fond of dwarves."

"What about other skin changers?" You wondered.

The wizard nodded, "I think you may very well be our key to success here, y/n. Perhaps you should go first?"

You nodded in agreement, "he's a bear, that was what my clan was too."

"Your clan?" Asked Thorin from beside you.

You nodded, "every skin changer has to belong to a clan and there are many clans for just about every animal imaginable. Bears, horses, wolves, owls, you name it. My father was the alpha of the bear clan. Like him, I have the ability to shift into any animal if I see it. It's in my blood. Beorn must be from that clan too."

Gandalf nodded," then it's decided, y/n, you'll go first. Next I will join you. Then we'll just go youngest to oldest I think. You will wait for my signal." Once everyone was in agreement you walked to the window where you could see Beorn chopping wood outside.

"Be careful." Thorin said beside you.

"I will." You gave him a sweet peck on the lips before walking outside slowly.

Beorn was much taller then you but you didn't let it intimidate you. He had been bested by you once, you could do it again.

You walked near to him but still giving him plenty of room. You knew he smelled you, he had to have, but he acted as if he didn't.

You broke the silence, "you can fight, I'll give you that." You rubbed your sore temple that was covered in a yellow bruise.

Then the chopping stopped and he turned to you, "I never thought I would see another skin changer again." His voice was deep and gravely, "let alone my own kin."

Your eyes went wide, "y-your kin?"

You turned ti you fully, "yes. I know you, y/n."

You were pretty sure you went a little pale then, "but...that cannot be. All of my family were killed by Azog. Who are you to me?"

"Your mother, Breann...she was my sister."

You gaped your mouth at this new information, "I...Beorn I'm so sorry I have no memory of having an uncle."

He nodded in understanding, " I was captured by Azog when you were very little." He showed you his shackles that he wore like a bracelet.

"You too? He took me and my parents. My father helped me escape through a secret tunneling system. They killed him just before I escaped.

"And your mother?" He wondered how she had died.

"She died of starvation before they could kill her. She would always give her food to me."

Beorn looked down, rage going through his mind. He sighed and stepped closer, eyeing you, you remained in place, calm and collected. You didn't think he would actually hurt his only family, " what I don't understand is why you are so...small."

You smiled, "I prefer to be this height, uncle. It...makes the world a little bigger. That and...I found my mate."

Beorn perked up, "there is another skin changer?"

You shook your head, "no...he's a dwarf."

Beorn growled and looked away, "I hate dwarves."

"This one is very important." You looked back to the window and saw Thorin and everyone else peering back. You assumed that Thorin was translating everything that was going on for he too could hear the conversation in his own mind.

You turned back to Beorn, "Sorry for taking over your Home, uncle and hurting you. We have no where to go, Azog has been hunting us for days. We need to reach the mountain before Durin's Day falls."

He waved you off, "you did not know who I was. I wasn't sure about you until you changed from one beast to another." He looked at you quietly then back to the house, " I really don't like dwarves but I will make an exception for you, niece."

You smiled happily at him and he smiled a little too.

He gestured to the house, "introduce me. I want to know who's been sleeping in my home."

You looked back to the house and waved a hand with a smile. They all came pouring out and stood in a line. Each one introducing themselves.

Once the formalities where out of the way, Beorn offered to make breakfast before discussing more pressing matters. And that was an offer you couldn't turn down.

_______________________

A/n: just a little shorter of a chapter.

VOTE COMMENT FOLLOW