Chapter Twenty-Three

A/N: hope enjoy this long chapter!

____________________

"I know these halls." Thorin whispered, breaking the silence, "this stone. You remember it, Balin? Chambers filled with golden light."

The adoration at which your love spoke was endearing and sad all the same. This was not the same Erebor they once knew. It would take time before it can be fully restored, if ever.

"Aye," Balin said walking in. His voice was thick with emotion as his eyes glossed over, "I remember."

It was Nori who spoke now, reading a dwarvish inscription near the ceiling," Herein lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's folk. May the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of this home."

You hummed, "the heart of the mountain?"

Balin breathed, "The arkenstone."

Bilbo shifted his weight, "and what's that?"

Thorin smirked at the hobbit, "that, master burglar, is why you are here."

The poor hobbit visibly tensed and swallowed nervously. Who wouldn't be nervous? There was supposed to be a fire breathing dragon down there.

Bilbo cleared his throat, "so what do I do? Is there any plan I should follow?"

Thorin looked to Balin, "Balin will walk you down and fill you in. We'll be waiting up here. With the best of luck, finding the stone will be quick and we can get you out of there."

The hobbit shifted, "and with a the worst of luck?"

There was silence.

"I'll be with you, Bilbo." You rested a hand on his shoulder.

Thorin gave you a look.

"So it's ok for Bilbo to go and not me? It's just as dangerous either way, Thorin. I won't let him go alone." You crossed your arms. This wasn't up for debate. Bilbo visibly relaxed at the idea of having you along with him.

Thorin stepped closer to you, "as much as I hate the idea, you should go with him. But stay silent and stay hidden. Let Bilbo and his silent steps search for the stone. Understood?"

You nodded, "of course." You could agree to those terms.

Thorin looked between you and Bilbo, "if anything goes wrong, I will know it." He tapped his head, "be careful, both of you."

You nodded and Balin lead you down the passage, but not before you squeezed in a hug with Thorin. He held you to him tightly as if his life depended on it. And reluctantly he let you go.

Balin said that the Arkenstone was a "large white jewel". Somehow you were supposed to know it when you saw it.

You walked down the green tinted stone passage with Bilbo who was very quiet.

"You alright, Bilbo?"

"No," he squeaked, "but I'm glad I have you with me."

You chuckled, "Not that I could do much against a dragon."

"Well you can just turn into one, right?" He stopped walking and looked to you expectantly.