Chapter 25

The man in the grey coat

Demi's POV
I stayed with Hayley the whole time the doctor was cleaning and stitching her arm up. I knew it must have been hard but she was being so brave.  I kept having to look away I hated watching her wince in pain while the doctor did his job, it was a heart breaking scene and it hurt so much to watch, but I was here for her and I wasn't going anywhere.

When the doctor had finished up and left, Hayley started crying, I could tell she'd been holding it in. "I'm so sorry Demi" she cried, I started crying too, hearing her voice break, broke me. "No you don't need to apologise, I'm sorry" I replied trying not to sound as upset as I was. I was so sorry for not being there for her, for everything she was feeling right now. I just feel like I failed.  I had been wrong for thinking she was doing okay and I let my guard down. "What happened Hunny? I thought you were doing really well" I asked. I watched her hesitate, she looked around as if making sure it was safe but I never took my eyes off her.

She took a deep breath, "before I was taken away from my parents. They hurt me.. " she started. She told me so much. I had no idea she had gone through so much trauma and abuse. I was trying to hold back my tears, from both hurt and that she is opening up to me. I was so proud of her for being so strong, when she finished she looked up at me, her eyes were red and puffy from crying.  "baby girl, you didn't deserve any of that, that is heart breaking and so wrong, you should never have been treated like that. I'm so sorry and I will never let anyone hurt you ever again" I promised putting a comforting hand on her knee. I watched to see how she would react but she snapped "how? You don't care, this is just your job. There's 2 weeks left then I'll never see you again and I will have meant nothing to you,  which fucking hurts because you mean everything to me but-" she broke down and couldn't even finish her sentence. I felt her pain, I understood what she meant. She was right, I wasn't going to be able to see her after camp. There was a strict rule about no outside contact which means we wouldn't see each other or speak after camp. but I wasn't going to let that happen. I couldn't. "Shh" I cooed and pulled her in for a tight hug, I started stroking her hair to calm her down, I just wanted to hold her and be close to her right now but she pushed me away. We locked eyes for a second before she turned to leave and slammed the door as loud as she could which made me flinch. I knew she needed some alone time right now but last time I thought that she ended up needing me. I decided it'd be best to follow and I'd leave if she wanted me to.

I stepped outside and looked around for her, she must have ran off somewhere. I couldn't see her. I tried to think where she would have gone and started running around frantically trying to find her.

I ended up near the mountain bike riding trail but thought there's no way she would have gone there since we hadn't done mountain bike riding yet and she wasn't familiar with the area. I went to check somewhere else but I heard yelling "hey!" It was Hayley, I knew her voice anywhere. I ran to where I thought I heard her but she wasn't there. Was she talking to someone? Did I imagine it?
I started having a sick feeling in my stomach and started sobbing. I almost wanted to call the police, or at least alert security to look out for her but I didn't want to seem like a drama queen when I knew she was probably just sitting somewhere calming herself down.

40 minutes had past and I'd searched the entire camp ground. There was no where else to look, Okay now it's time to start panicking I immediately dialled Matt's number in my phone and preyed he wasn't busy and would pick up "hello?" "Matt! It's Demi. Look I need you to-" "Ha! Got you, this is my voice mail, sorry I couldn't answer the phone please leave a message.. beep"  ugh, I hung up and tried calling Nick, who didn't answer either as he was doing a water activity with our group now and wouldn't have his phone on him. I grabbed my hair in frustration. She must've left camp, there's only 2 ways she could have gone. I immediately jumped in my car and started driving. I didn't even know Hayleys number so I couldn't call her or track her phone. I was taking deep breathes in and out to try to keep myself calm.